We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

trying to install wireless printer

Old Geeza

Likes # 0

Eveing all, I am trying to install a HP photosmart 5510 as a wireless printer. It has connected with my router and network but my laptop cannot see it. I have checked that the firewall is allowing it and have disabled my anti virus but still not working...I have connected using the usb cable and it prints via that but not wireless, any ideas please

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's a couple of months since I used an HP printer, but a peculiarity of HP is that the printer must be connected to the network before, repeat before, trying to install it.

Remove all HP software (you might have to complete this manually), remove all connections (except wireless of course) and then install the printer using the normal install procedures through Control Panel.

You should be able to print once you have done this.

Then install the software to get all the HP bells and whistles.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

morddwyd

My sister is having exactly the same problem as Old Geeza, so I have sent this page to her to have a look at and see if she can get it working. Her problem appears to be acceptance of the Router password. The numbers on the back of the BT Router are not being recognised. She has tried two numbers including the Admin password.

Hopefully, by following your details it will be OK.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

i AGREE WITH mORWYTH

Lord knows what is going on with the site today but I'm having problems. Any way if this posts then I agree with Morwydd, let Windows install the generic drivers, you need to connect the USB then switch on the printer. Let Windows use the 'found new hardware' wizard and then show that it 'sees' the printer in device manager. Reboot and once logged in install the DVD/CD that came with the printer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia