We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall XP - Device Errors

dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Have just reinstalled XP SP 2 on a Dell laptop that was seriously infected with malware.

Installation went OK but am getting errors in Device Manager, Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, O2Micro CCID SC Reader, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller. Another problem is I cannot find the device driver CD's.

Looking for advice on how to proceed!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly install the 'recommended' ones from top down? Especially from the 'Communications' label?

The 'urgent' ones I have no idea about. Best ask DELL.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, with respect my link was to the manual and the instructions to install the drivers. Link was not meant to be a link to the drivers needed. Under the section for Reinstalling Software is:

*"Installing Drivers in the Correct Order Microsoft Windows XP (with service pack 2 and later) does not require a system driver installation order. However, the following order preference works best. "*

so as you have already said, the order is not too important.

Drivers available to download are on this different link to UK Dell

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/uk/en/ukdhs1

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Thanks for help so far.

Laptop can now access the internet and most drivers have been added. For the benefit of others who might refer to this thread, Dell strongly recommend adding drivers in a specific sequence, saying that not to do so can adversely affect their performance. The following link refers: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=268873&l=en&s=gen

I have two remaining problems.

1. On boot, and before the laptop connects to the internet, there seems to be a temporary conflict between the Dell and Windows network connection utilities. Initially, Windows shows 'little or no connectivity' whereas the Dell UI reads that the internet connection is excellent (though the laptop cannot connect to the net at this point). The IP address shown by the Dell UI (prior to the laptop actually being on line) is initially 169.254.131.195, but by opting in the Dell UI to connect to my VOYAGER-95 profile, the laptop connects to the net and the Dell GUI then displays a typical IP of 192.168.1.7 as you might expect. How can I force the laptop to use just one of the Dell/Windows utilities?

2. Still getting some errors in Device Manager:

Under 'Other Devices', the following errors are shown-

(a) Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus (b) Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

The necessary driver is missing in each case and cannot be automatically sourced through the MS download site.

Under 'Sound, video and game controllers, the following error-

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

The driver was obtained automatically but the service refuses to start.

Any more ideas please?

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic. Have now installed the nVidia-Driver R224634.exe (60MB) and the Device Manager error '(b) Video Controller (VGA Compatible)' has now been rectified.

Still got the other two errors plus the Dell/Windows connection utility conflict.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

About the audio, I can't find the solution to your specific model, but have a look here

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

OK. Getting a bit closer. To remove the wireless utility conflict, I launched the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility>Advanced>Use Windows To Manage WiFi, then added the wireless network details to Network Connections.

However, under 'Other Devices', the following errors are still showing-

• Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus

The necessary driver is missing in each case and cannot be automatically sourced through the MS download site.

Under 'Sound, video and game controllers, the following error-

• IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

The driver was obtained automatically but the service refuses to start.

Any more ideas please?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Read http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19314360.aspx especially the last posting.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is the driver for the modem, link

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Okidoki. All sorted.

rdave13's modem driver got rid of that error and lovic's uninstall device tip followed by installing the SIGMATEL-Driver (R171789.exe (7MB)) removed the second and final error and re-enabled system audio.

Machine now running like a greyhound and appears error free and fully functional.

Many thanks to all who helped. Happy new your to you and yours! :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

We are glad it's sorted and working, just one more thing - for future use:

Best to burn all the drivers to a CD/DVD with instructions and notes, while you've got them sussed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...