We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall XP - Device Errors

dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Have just reinstalled XP SP 2 on a Dell laptop that was seriously infected with malware.

Installation went OK but am getting errors in Device Manager, Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, O2Micro CCID SC Reader, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller. Another problem is I cannot find the device driver CD's.

Looking for advice on how to proceed!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Yup. I rebooted. Still showing the original device errors. Read somewhere about the need to install the Dell Laptop Utility prior to installing drivers. Anyone familiar with this?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well the FE must have put a quid in as links BOGOF except you pay twice :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

See list.

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

I've already accessed that page and downloaded the drivers. Didn't try installing them at that point in case the sequence was critical.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If they don't work then contact Dell.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Install them from top down. Dell don't fart around as they need to sell products. So long as they are for XP and sometimes multiple OSs. What's the problem?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wasted my time if you already knew of that page--- thanks a lot.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

See 'Reinstalling Software' section in your manual Dell™ Latitude™ D630/D630c User's Guide

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd630/en/UG/index.htm

That gives full instructions on reinstalling Drivers after installing XP from the DVD

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic,

With respect, nothing about drivers there. The list is available from the DELL link I provided.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?