We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall XP - Device Errors

dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Have just reinstalled XP SP 2 on a Dell laptop that was seriously infected with malware.

Installation went OK but am getting errors in Device Manager, Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, O2Micro CCID SC Reader, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller. Another problem is I cannot find the device driver CD's.

Looking for advice on how to proceed!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As you have access to another computer, download and run SIW - that will tell you which ethernet driver you need. Download that from the manufacturers site. When connected to the internet, download Slimdrivers - it's free and will offer you drivers for all the other hardware.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

As onthelimit1 says, go to manufacturers site. As it is a Dell PC you should find the drivers without too much prob as Dell are pretty good at making the drivers readily available, even for v. old PCs.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a DELL you should be able to find your mobo drivers from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As it's a DELL you should be able to find your mobo drivers from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry for double post, site playing up a bit?

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

OK. I've used the Dell service tag to access the drivers for the laptop...which is a Latitude D360.

Trouble is that there are more drivers than I theoretically need since Dell used a number of different makes of component in their machines...so I decided to try to get the correct Ethernet driver so I could at least get on line. Using SIW, the ethernet controller shows as PCI\VEN14E4DEV16... and requires the driver {4d36e97e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000.

How can I access this?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

dogbreath1, I couldn't find the D360 drivers on the Dell site. In SIW what is the name of the Lan card?

Like this post
dogbreath1

Likes # 0

Big apology for the transposition. The model is Latitude D630, not D360.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Having problems posting my end at the moment so if reply is slow forthcoming I apologise. Will look again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is it the D630,

D630 ATG

D360 XFR

or D630C ?

Just to make sure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance