We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with router

samandrhia

Likes # 0

We all had new gadgets for christmas, and I don't think my router will cope! I am using the Netgear N150 which came with my orange broadband. It is connected with a cable to my desktop computer in the hall. There are 4 of us, and we all have wireless laptops and smart phones which we use round the house. My son as an xbox (with live) which is in his bedroom, my daughter uses the WII in her room, and my husband has a works IPAD. Yesterday, my husband and me were both on laptops and my kids on their consoles and we all kept losing connection. Is it just a case of buying a more powerful router, and if so, any suggestions on what would be a decent one? Thank you.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Reading the write up on your router it should be able to cope.

It seems from blogs I have read that the x-box would be much better if attached by an ethernet cable to the router as it is prone to interference from all sorts of things and wireless is not brilliant for gaming. If this is not possible the advice is to try a homeplug which extends the wireless signal.

It is also advised that you perhaps change the wireless frequency of the router - a default setting is 6 so you should perhaps try 9 or 11. To do this you will need to type in the url of your router (may be 192.168.0.1) into the address bar at the top of your browser - this should take you to the home page of your router - you will need your passwords - default usually set to admin/admin unless you have changed it. You should then be able to navigate to settings.

At the same time you could check to see if your router's firmware is up to date.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

Check out the E3000. Get's good reviews & support is very good.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

A couple of things to bear in mind:

Some routers are designed to limit the number of simultaneous wireless connections. If this is the case with your router, you could be trying to connect with too many wireless devices and hence the disconnections.

Unlike wired ethernet connections, where each device will have the full 100Mbps speed (1000Mbps with Gigabit), the bandwith of "wireless" connections is shared by the connected devices. Run four wireless devices with 150Mbps 802.11n (which will probably be closer to 100Mbps in practice) and each connection will only connect to the router at about 25Mbps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen