We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Office 2010 over Office 2000

SURVEY
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have managed to buy an unopened boxed Office Professional 2010 at a reasonable price. I have Office Professional 2000 presently installed on my computer together with a 2010 Office Starter linited edition.

Should I uninstall (Add/Remove?) the old versions before installing the new? I assume data fields are not removed? Is there any advantage in retaining the 2000 version to co-exist with 2010?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 1

i would delete both office programs and go for a fresh install of your new office

Like this post
mobing

Likes # 1

but if they could not keep updating ,they will get loss in competition and they also want to profit more from the new products !

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Constant change and improvement in both software and hardware is the only way these firms can stay in business,

I in theory at least - 10year old machine/software set will perform the essential tasks albeit a little slower- but the job will get done.

Yesterday took delivery of a discarded 10 year old IBM Think Pad with Win2000- all in perfect working order- the battery is dead - not surprising - but alll else works-

It will do for a youngster starting college say and unable to acquire a current machine.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Ok, to summarise. I uninstalled the 2010 Starter Version (that my new laptop came pre-loaded with) and also my MS Office 2000 - all through Add/Remove programs. Then installed the Office Professional disc. All went well except that I went for the custom installation as I didn't want to install Access and One Note; however they both did load - and this is not the first time I have had this happen with MS custon option. However, all working well. My old 2000 files have all been recognised. The only downside is that as I have a couple of other computers running Office 2000 I have to keep trying to remember to use the'Save As' option to save in the 2000 format. Is there not an option somewhere to instruct a particular file to always be saved in a particular format??

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Stick with the old version until you either change your machine or have many hours to spend learning the new layout and downloading all the updates! Old files of Publisher and PowerPoint are not always handled well buy later versions and you may have trouble with some of your older files.

If you have a spare computer put the old version of Office and copy all your documents onto it.

Then delete Office 2000 and install the 2010 and cross fingers all your documents will open OK.

list of incompatibility Word, Excel and finally 'the' compatibility pack to send to all your friends who dont have Office 2010 to convert your new files back to previous versions so they can read them grin

You may have by now realised that it is a major change (and I dont like Office 2010)!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i found starter ver of office 2010 open all my xp office docs

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Older versions of Publisher have major problems with new versions but, in my experience, not the other way round. It will be different to 2000 but I would not hesitate in installing 2010 in preference to 2000 which is now very dated and will not run well on Windows 7, especially Outlook.

There are some major differences with Access and as with Publisher older versions cannot open new versions of Access. But you can normally save as an older version. If your friends cannot open docx then send them in doc format.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Office 2010 uses a different file format to previous versions, but there's no need to worry - the new version will open all your old files, and you'll have the option to save them in either of the two formats (or both) when you edit them.

Office 2010 will seem a little strange at first, but when you become more familiar with it you'll realise that it's much better than Office 2000.

I would uninstall previous versions before installing the new one.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your comments. I really do not care for the later versions of Office but I think the time has come to update. Why why do MS feel the need to change something that worked well. Style over substance comes to mind.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July