We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home network PCs & iPad

HenryVII

Likes # 0

Kit: Desktop (Win 7), wireless laptop (Vista), iPad 2, iPod Touch

The laptop commicates wirelessly with the newtwork. My iPod links, through the network, with the desktop PC and I can receive my emails on both.

We each have separate email accounts through the same TalkTalk broadband connection - TalkTalk allows up to 5 email addresses.

My wife, who has the laptop and iPad, cannot receive her emails via the iPad. I wonder whether this is because the iPad cannot connect wirelessly with the laptop.

Like this post
daisy2bell

Likes # 1

Can your wife not just log into aol mail via the safari browser on the iPad, and read the emails. That's how I do it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

The iPad gets its e-mails from the ISP in the same way as the e-mail client on the laptop. The iPad does not have to connect to the laptop to get the e-mails. Has the email account been set up on the iPad?

You will need to change the settings so that e-mails are left on the server otherwise there will be no e-mails to download at either the laptop or iPad depending on which read the e-mails first. Alternatively use imap.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

On the iPad go to settings then mail, contacts then add account. There you will need to input your login details for your email account.

Of course if you have not yet connected wirelessly with your wi-fi via your router then you will be unable to connect to your email account.

Like this post
HenryVII

Likes # 0

I think the problem may have emmanated from when my wife set up her email a/c in Outlook on her laptop, and perhaps used a different password. Up to now I have assumed that she would have been obliged to use the same password as I do, since we use the same ISP (TalkTalk) Broadband line. If this is not the case, then she will have to recall the password she used. She can still receive emails on her laptop in Outlook and has set up the iPad details to mirror the Outlook settings.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes she will have her own password to her email account. I have at least 5 email accounts and each has it's own password, it matter not what your ISP is.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

However if all the e-mails are already on the laptop and she hasn't set it to leave e-mails on the server then there will be none to download to the ipad.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July