We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot disable on board graphics on Compaq presario SR 1619

steadman7

Likes # 0

I need to disable o/b graphics to use a new PCI-E graphics card (ATI HD 5450). PC has Ameythyst 7184 m/b but in the Bios the video window is set at 64 but is grey, ie cannot be changed. I suspect the disable option is there but I can't get to it. The 'primary graphics adaptor' can be set at On Board/PCI/PCI-E but whichever is selected the graphics window size remains grey and there is no output to monitor from either device whenever the PCI-E card is physically installed. Provided the PCI-E card is not installed there is output to the monitor (from the o/b socket) whichever primary graphics adaptor option is selected. Any help to disble o/b graphics would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You may be able to disable via Device Manager

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If this is the board, link it looks as it should disable the onboard graphics automatically. The way I installed my Gforce card was to install the drivers for it first, using onboard graphics, then I shut down and installed the new card. Connected the monitor to it and was running ok on bootup.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Unfortunately the manual was of no help:MS-7184. Specification. I am just grabbing at straws here. Have you tried inserting the card then seeing if the settings in the BIOS can be changed?

Like this post
steadman7

Likes # 0

Thanks but I can't get to windows as there is no monitor output once the PCI-E card is fitted. Do you mean disable via DM when the PC is running normally and then shutdown and fit the PCI-E card. Is there a risk that the PC then won't restart at all?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Well spotted *rdave13 * I missed that bit of the spec. Still it does not seem to be working. I am not sure your way of installing drivers will necessarily work as ATI will actually flash up an error message is no compatible hardware is found. Worth a try though.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Who are you replying to?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Don't know what happened there,posted before I had finished.If it was me? You should still be able to access the bios if the new card is fitted.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Chronus, had the very same problem on my Foxconn board, would not detect the new card without installing the drivers. Don't know about ATI drivers though.

Like this post
steadman7

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave and others

The PC won't POST with the PCI-E card fitted so I can't see how installing under Windows will resolve this. Similarly I can't see how disabling ob graphics in Windows device manager will help as the problem on restart is before Windows loads. I can't easily try these ideas as the PC (but not the new card) is now ~ 100 miles away with my daughter. I wondered about 'use factory settings' in the BIOS. I can get my daughter to try things over the phone, but not 'on demand'! This all relates to a new game (Sims3) my grandaughter has had for Christmas which I don't think will work with ob graphics.

Thanks for your help which is appreciated

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I suspect that you all seem to be getting in a fix about things

All you have to do is install the card. Plug the monitor to card Install the driver/utilities disk that came with card. Its all plug and pray. There is no need to 'disable anything' if no monitor is plugged to the onboard it wont show anything.

Or am I that far behind the times- after all I rebuilt this machine only 3 months ago with a Foxconn bundle from Novatech.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes