We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will I encounter any problems uninstalling Windows 7 Premium?

pcbobby
Resolved

Likes # 0

My new laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ56 . OS Windows 7 Premium. C DRIVE contains current OS and all programs etc. D DRIVE contains RECOVERY.

I wish to install Windows XP Professional SP3. Using new Windows reinstallation CD

Is it wise to move all the programs AND DRIVERS to D drive or save them to a USB memory stick and add them after installation of XP PROF SP3 ?

Thank you for any advice.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

All programs will need to be installed again on the new XP operating system and all your drivers will be for Windows 7 so,I doubt, will not be of any use to use you. It will be necessary to download all motherboard drivers etc from the Compaq/HP website but unfortunately there do not seem to be any. See here;Drivers.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would advise you to stick with Windows 7 as you could encounter all sorts of problems in trying to obtain drivers. As per Chronus there do not appear to be any drivers available and in my opinion reverting to XP would be a backward step as it is only a matter of time that Microsoft withdraws support for XP SP3.

Like this post
pcbobby

Likes # 0

Hello Chronus and Northumbria 61.

Thank you for your advice and comments.

I think that I may well try to live with Windows 7 and move with the times.

Kind regards.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can have both XP and W7 as separate systems (not dual boot). Just buy a new harddrive to put XP on and take out your W7 harddrive. You can then just physically swap the harddrives over depending on which you want to use.

Like this post  
pcbobby

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic,

Thank you for your input.

My daughter has just told me that she will use my disc to update her old Pc from Win 98 to Xp. Perhaps a better opition .

Kind regards.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Bear in mind it's possible to make Windows 7 look/behave very like XP.

I have a "Quick start area" on the taskbar for example and you can turn of Aero, you can make the "Start Menu" look like XP.

BUT why bother, at some point you are going too have to learn a new interface!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...