We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Leakhawk Alert Email

mooly

Likes # 0

I received an email titled "Leakhawk Alert Email" with the subject "This email has been compromised.

I just deleted it without opening but then googled "Leakhawk" and I'm not sure whether it's remotely genuine or not.

Any advice on this one...

Like this post
FranzPL

Likes # 0

Well, during christmas, stratfor's website was chacked and all security info (inc credit card data) was stolen by Anonymous. I have received an email from Leakhawk as well and I am suspecting this has something to do with Stratfor.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This seems very similar to those sites that state that you have been "infected" or "your drivers need updating" or "your registry needs cleaning" and asking you to buy their product.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If this as been reported to the FE, then perhaps his comments on the subject is welcomed?.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

If the FE is reading all this and can add anything then I agree, a few words would be good.

FranzPL... thanks for your reply. All I can only find this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratfor

and the references at the bottom give a list of hacked emails accounts etc.

Like this post
rlsayre

Likes # 0

I followed the link in the e-mail to a description of my security break. It turns out that it was the Stratfor hack. What Stratfor did was outlined in a video from the CEO. You can see it by going to Stratfor's website.

A word about passwords and password strength. Strong passwords are important to keep folks from guessing your password. Google "strong password" and you will find a lot of material so I will not re-hash it here.

But you could have the strongest password on the planet and it would not matter if the place where that password is stored is not secure itself, and that was Stratfor's error. That is why folks are encouraged to have unique passwords for each site, so that, if a single site is compromised, your password isn't available for other sites.

I expect that this breach will cause many other companies to review their procedures to ensure that this will not happen to them, and that is a good thing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In my Humble Opinion:

Obviously a new outfit (less than a year - first domain reg Nov 2nd 2011) that is setting up to spam and advertise their service that will harvest all your email addresses, nay, they get you to give all your email addys to them and offer/ask you to pay for extra services (thereby giving them your payment details) under the service of notifying you after the event (Paypal has been hacked, Banksite hacked etc.)

IMHO Leakhawk.com would then end up with a massive database of legit email addresses and details - worth a lot should it ever get sold on or hacked itself.

On forums.whirlpool.net Joseph Bell states: "we do sell a service that you can use to monitor your online accounts (not just email addresses)" -That rings alarm bells for me.

Many email addresses are 'on the web' that's how all the other Spammers operate. By getting you to respond to their email you are just confirming that yours is a valid email address and then I would think you get targeted with the hard sell to frighten you into using an accounts 'monitor' not needed. I think it is just a glorified way of harvesting yet more email addresses and private info.

Read http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1838436 which actually references back to this thread for more info.

As for the posters josephbell, FranzPL and rlsayre all three have only just joined pca forum and only posted on this thread.

Methinks a setup for a scam and they (or one person using three names) are trying out their marketing/advertising skills by joining in forum threads asking about them.

And surprise, surprise http://www.pxdaj.com/detail/leakhawk-com-158485.html Joseph Bell is the main man.

"Description: LeakHawk Monitor sends you an alert if your online account has been compromised. Meta Keywords:hacking,phishing,security. Link Owner:Joseph Bell"

Whois http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/leakhawk.com and http://whois.domaintools.com/leakhawk.com

My advice is treat any email from Leakhawk.com as a Phishing Scam/Spam email and delete it.

Above links are to help stop google searches so that it doesn't get better ranking results. Instead anyone searching for Leakhawk.com Scam Phishing email will get pca and this thread high on list of results.

Have had a Chat Session with Trusteer Rapport and their opinion/advice is do not trust unsolicited emails advertising security or give any details to anyone. They will be checking them out in due course.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Interesting thoughts and reading there Lotvic. Thanks.

The good thing for me in all this was that it "forced" me into using far more secure passwords for all sites I use, all now are between 15 and in some cases 40 totally random letters/numbers/punctuation apart from odd sites that have a small maximum character number.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad