We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Leakhawk Alert Email

mooly

Likes # 0

I received an email titled "Leakhawk Alert Email" with the subject "This email has been compromised.

I just deleted it without opening but then googled "Leakhawk" and I'm not sure whether it's remotely genuine or not.

Any advice on this one...

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

having done just a quick cheak, I am guessing this is spam in an attempt to sell their product. which it seem is a security program.

Leakhawk is not listed on any web based blacklists, and most reviews refer to domain names being comprised, which may be where they obtained your address http://leakhawk.com/index.php

May give some details helpfull to you to give some idea where they got your details from

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Thanks sharpamat. Thats about all I can turn up on this one too. And straightaway it takes you to a payment request lol.

Never-the-les it's perhaps no bad thing (the email) as it's a wake up call on security and some of my passwords aren't that strong, particularly on sites such as this for example.

Like this post
josephbell

Likes # 0

Hi mooly.

Unfortunately your account details have been compromised, for real. The email you got was part of our courtesy alert program. Our business is to alert our customers when their accounts have been leaked, usually as a part of hacked database. When we monitor the web for leaks, we encounter a lot of accounts that are not covered by LeakHawk service. After we manually check that there's a email and a password in the leak, we send notification email with a link to the incident page where the receiver can find more information, link to the page where we found the email and so on.

We do sell a service but these notification emails are just something we do for free, no strings attached.

Best regards, Joseph from LeakHawk Inc.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Clear PCA is one site which may have been comprised.Maybe worth while only logging on when actually posting

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

sharpamat - what makes you think PCA has been comprised. Have you had an e-mail. I haven't. I'm not worried about PCA.

Has mooly signed up to LeakHawk? I guess that the e-mail looked like this leakhawk e-mail. I think that this is maybe spam from Leakhawk.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Evening folks,

I don't really know what to think and I'm not qualified to make a judgement one way or the other on this.

I haven't signed up with LeakHawk, in fact I had never heard of it. A Bing search of "LeakHawk email security" brought just one hit, the same as Woolwell's link I think. If it were such a well known service I would have expected 1000's of hits when Binged or Googled.

What I have done is change all my passwords for ones that are far stronger (min of 15 random characters, and some up to 30 although some sites don't allow that many).

As for email addresses, well I use disposable ones anyway on all forums and so on and so it's no real bother to change those too.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

The reason I feel PCA many have been comprised is the reply from josephbell who states his involvement with leakhawk ( Hence reported to FE ) who it seems this was his only posting

Like this post
josephbell

Likes # 0

Sharpamat,

At least according our systems, PCA hasn't been compromised. I'm not a frequent poster here but I wanted to clarify what LeakHawk is doing and why people are receiving these alerts. The last thing we want to do is to send spam. That is why we never send more than one alert per email unless the person behind that email registers an account with us and why we implemented manual approval process for each leak.

mooly was absolutely right when he adviced everybody to use more secure passwords and disposable emails. Using disposable email and unique password for each service is the best defense against leaks.

• Joseph
Like this post
FranzPL

Likes # 0

Let me guess people..you have used and subscribed to Strator?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Quote,

"Let me guess people..you have used and subscribed to Strator?

I have never heard of it... please explain your reasoning.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination