We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 network speed query

ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

Due to traveling on Wednesday, i have ripped 32+ dvd's via DVD decrypter to put on to my netbook to watch on my travels as it does not have a cd/dvd drive.

To do this, i have used a desktop to rip the dvd's and i want to transfer the files to my netbook via LAN.

Currently all of my dvd's have been ripped to a total of 120gb. Storage is not a problem but when i transfer the files to the netbook via the network at 54mbps, it only copies at 1mbps. Both devices are idling when i copy but at 1mbps, it will take days to transfer 120gb. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

FYI, both machines are running windows 7 home, connected via Bt home hub, one wired, one wireless but makes no difference. A different format will not help as there are other files i need to transfer too, but they are not urgent.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Use a flash drive. Copy from desktop to flash drive, or ordinary USB drive then transfer. Make sure your netbook supports DVD viewing.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

Just tried that, writes at 600-700kbps, slower, and im using VLC and opening disk then just selecting the folder.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Using VLC?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Wouldn't it be quicker to take your netbook harddrive out and hook it up to the desktop then just copy the files from desktop pc to netbook harddrive.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic

Yup, but if you have an USB drive, copy and paste, 120 GB will take some time, then connect to the netbook and copy and paste again, should be completed in less than 5 hours with an additional bonus of a backup... :)

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Connect the netbook to the PC with a ethernet cable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...