We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My revitalised laptop now asks for password to enter the BIOS...

Aitchbee
Resolved

Likes # 0

It's a Packard Bell Easynote L4. It had a fault hard drive - but I could access the Bios by hitting F2 key.

After a successful hard drive upgrade, I now get asked to enter a password, if I want to get into the Bios configuration page.

I have downloaded a Bios upgrade from the PB website ( along with drivers), and wonder if, by updating the bios, which is now on a bootable CD, this might resolve (reset) the Bios problem.

Is it worth the risk, as the laptop is booting into XP and is working well?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...I forgot to add that I tried replacing the original faulty hard drive into the laptop to see if the Bios page was still accessible - no joy.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

unplug from mains

remove battery

remove Cmos battery for 10 mins

replace all and retry.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat - how do I remove CMOS battery?

I will try what you suggest regarding the laptop battery which I think is also past it's working life.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This might help but you need to look for the battery. Be careful, link, and make sure it is the same netbook type before starting.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have added to click on the PDF link.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Usual way to clear password is to remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes, though don't know if that is an easy job with a laptop. There are other ways to try, do a google for: manufacturer backdoor bios password

Be careful, I believe some bios's will lock you out of the system completely if you type in an incorrect password more than 3 times. That's why taking out CMOS battery is safest way.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'll see if the link will work now, link

If not and it goes to the other thread, click on the link in the second post and when that opens then click on the PDF link.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Last link worked OK.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS again, if you had someone else to replace the hard drive then I'd ask them for the password first, if they set one.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks for responses.

Fruit Bat - I removed main battery for over 15 mins, and then re-inserted.

There was a high-pitched sound which stopped when I pressed on the power button. I still get the password prompt, but everything loads as normal...it boots up XP when I hit the 'ESC' key as suggested at the Bios entry password stage.

Lotvic - opening up the laptop is not on my todo list. :o) but I will follow up your suggestions.

rdave13 - will check out your link tomoro.

Off to watch university challenge now. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...