We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on new computer

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks Could some of you recommend a good desktop computer around the £400 mark? I got a nice slim LED 22.5" HD monitor for christmas but I'm not sure if I'll get the full benefit of the HD as my current computer is 6 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I don't play games!I'm just looking for a good computer for everyday use.Thanks.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

You might consider a barebones where you get the tower with motherboard memory, PSU and CPU fitted and you just transfer things like optical drives etc. all I suggest is you get a new graphics card.

Barebones

PC's

Just remember to add about £80 the cost of windows if you use any of these.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

What is a good up to date graphics card?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Would need a few details about your current set up. What is your current graphics card and motherboard. If you do not know then install this. Belarus. This will give you the details of what's inside your PC.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

You won't need a top end one unless your intending to play the latest games.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Belarus should read Belarc.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi Folks I've installed my new HD monitor and it's actually slowed the computer down a fair bit?I haven't installed any new drivers for it.Now I do only have (Don't laugh)256mb of RAM on this computer so I know I could definitely be doing with more RAM!Could increasing the screen resolution really slow down the computer a great deal?Here's the Belarc report

1.65 gigahertz AMD Sempron 128 kilobyte primary memory cache 128 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Not hyper-threaded

256 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB Slot 'A1' is Empty

Display

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter] LG E2260 [Monitor] (21.7")

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Major problem is the only 256 Mb RAM. Is that really correct? If you have antivirus that will be using most of that.

New computer is required I suggest.

If you do a search you should find a reasonable base unit for general use (not gaming)for £400.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Major problem is the only 256 Mb RAM. Is that really correct? If you have antivirus that will be using most of that.

If you do a search you should find a reasonable base unit for general use (not gaming)for £400.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I only clicked once!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...