We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on new computer

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks Could some of you recommend a good desktop computer around the £400 mark? I got a nice slim LED 22.5" HD monitor for christmas but I'm not sure if I'll get the full benefit of the HD as my current computer is 6 years old and it's time for an upgrade. I don't play games!I'm just looking for a good computer for everyday use.Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Major problem is the only 256 Mb RAM. The major problems is all the components, a MX400 GPU,that takes me back,I might even have one gathering dust in a box somewhere.

As Woolwell, says a new PC is in order.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Oh yeah as I say I've had this computer for over six years and it has served me well but I know a new computer is needed.Would I be better going with a "bare bones" or an already built PC with OS installed from PC world or something?Can anyone recommend a decent system for around that price(£400)please?Thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There's another thread on a similar subject. Look at John Lewis.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There's another thread on a similar subject. Look at John Lewis.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

What do you think of this one?As I say I don't play games I just want an up to date computer that will be fast for everyday use and which will give me the benegfit of my HD monitor?The 2nd one is just a bit more expensive but will it be worth paying a bit more fotr that one if I'm not going to be gaming on it?Thanks for the advice folks!

http://www.johnlewis.com/231395790/Product.aspx

http://www.johnlewis.com/231395789/Product.aspx

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

How about looking here as you already have a case, http://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/ No doubt you'll have to add a PSU, GPU card and an Optical drive (sata).

Cheapest upgrade I ever did.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Must have been excellent Champagne over the holidays.....:-|

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are other pc stores too! Just gave an example of what could be obtained.

rdave13 - No champagne - wine perhaps.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

rdave13 How about looking here as you already have a case, http://www.novatech.co.uk/motherboardbundles/ No doubt you'll have to add a PSU, GPU card and an Optical drive (sata).

Cheapest upgrade I ever did.

The thing is I've never done my own build and to be honest I'm not competent enough to do so,so I think I'd be much better off buying a complete PC.I'm interested to see what other people here have bought around the same price range and their opinions?Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

hiwatt, it's not really a 'home build' it is a motherboard replacement with all the addons, CPU,RAM all ready there. A bit fiddly to install but if your case is Full ATX then mini or full ATX boards will do. Have a look again and why not give them a ring? If you don't know what a USB header is on a motherboard then Google to see if you can understand, as most mobo's interfaces can be found online. If you think you're not competent you'll always be 'not competent'. Remember that an OEM OS will also add about £80 on top.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do it then any retail store.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)