We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fitting a laptop PCI wireless card and antenna - advice?

Midlander1066

Likes # 0

Hi forum,

I have a fairly oldish IBM Thinkpad R32 laptop - but it does what I need it to do...except...

I would like to fit a wireless card under the panel on the bottom of the laptop.

It looks like a mini PCI slot to me.

However, I've had a look and I can't see any antennas to attach to the wireless card....so I guess I need to fit an antenna in the case too.

Does anybody know what sort of Antenna and card I should get? And if so where I can buy one from?

Will any mini PCI wireless card and antenna do?

Any advice hugely appreciated.

Thanks! :-)

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I don't know about antenna but Try here for the cards

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Might be easier to use a wireless usb adaptor.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The antenna on most laptops is in the lid which means you have to remove the entire lid, hinge assembly and screen bezel. The wires from the antenna then run down via the hinges (As does the screen connections) and along channels to the Wireless card. A lot of hassle and the cost of doing all this would be more than buying a wireless USB adaptor as Woolwell suggests.

These days you can get very small one's such as this Edimax WiFi dongle for less than a tenner. It will stay in the computer pretty unobtrusively and the only downside is that it will occupy a USB slot almost permanently.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...