We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive crashed

Eddie 2425

Likes # 0

my son has a dell 1750 inspiron hard drive has crashed error 0146, so i want to replace the drive, the excisting drive is a 320 gb, can i replace this with a 1tb cheers Eddie

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

As long as it's one of the same connection type ie SATA or IDE.

Like this post
Eddie 2425

Likes # 0

thanks strawballs thats the bit I dont understand Eddie

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Sata and IDE are different connections.

Also are there any important files on that drive to retrieve?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Service Manual support.euro.dell.com

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If it has a ribbon with a wide connection it is IDE if it is a narrow cable with a small connection it will be SATA Click here this will show a picture of the difference.

Like this post
Eddie 2425

Likes # 0

Thanks Robtheorganguru there is no important files to retrieve.Thanks Lotvic for that link.Thanks Brynit for pointing out the difference in types of connections trouble is the hard drive is a push in, just undo 2 screws and it pushes out. On the drive it does say interface sata so I assume thats the connection. Many thanks for all your replies Eddie

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Even though its true, that most computers (especially the older type) might have a 'ribbon type' connector, there are some that have a single round cable, doing exactly the same job as ribbon with the same end connectors, but are made to assist air flow!.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

When you pull it out is there a wide slot in the end with a lot of pins (39 I believe) if so it's IDE if not it's sata as it's a laptop it will be of the 2.5" type.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

dell 1750 inspiron is a laptop, it will be a 2.5" harddrive (not a 3.5" which is what tower desktop pc's have on the end of ribbon type connector).

Here's a picture of SATA and IDE 2.5" http://www.laptopparts101.com/hard-drive/

Like this post
Eddie 2425

Likes # 0

thanks for all your help it was sata got the new hard drive today just loading windows many thanks Eddie

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room