We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why did my wife's hairdryer fix my HP Compaq desktop

Halmer

Likes # 0

Happy Chrimbo everyone.

I haven't got a problem so much as I'd like to understand how I have fixed one!

I turned the PC off as normal last night. When I went for a wee in the night I noticed that the green light at the front was flickering quickly so I tried, to no avail, to hold in the button to turn it off as the screen was blank. This morning I couldn't get it to boot up and noticed that the green power light at the back was also flashing and making a clicking noise.

Having researched it online the solution seems to be to fire a hairdryer into the back of the PC until the small green power light goes constant. I did this and it has worked.

Any ideas why please? I assumed that I need (or still may need a new power unit).

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

My thought is that perhaps there had been a build up of dust on the rear fan stopping it from spinning and overheating the PC. 'Firing' the hair drier through it, cleared it.

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

I had this fault on an HP Pavillion PC. The front power LED was flashing and the PC wouldn't switch on. There was also a small green LED at the back of the PSU which was flashing rapidly. I tried all manner of "fixes" from the Internet to no avail then a couple of days later I powered up the PC and it started first time. Unfortunately, after about a week the fault returned. I had read that this is the sign of a failing PSU so I fitted a new one. The PC has now been working for about a year with no further problems.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

OK both thanks for that.

I have found that HP advise to remove all cables and then hold the power button for five seconds. I did this as well. The green front light flashes once when you do it.

Will monitor it and see how it goes thanks.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

Is it easy to fit a new power supply Eric?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Condensation inside if its been in a cold room then Central Heating comes on. Hair dryer as dried it up. bit of electric travelling over the damp

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

Ease of fitting a new PSU depends on the construction of the case. If the case is of the compact (horizontal) style then your choices are limited. However, if it is of a Tower style then so long as you go for one with the same, or greater, power rating then it's usually just a matter of taking note of the connections as you unplug them so you can connect the new PSU correctly. The PSU itself is usually secured by 4 screws from the rear.

If you need a more definitive answer then we'd need to know the model number of your PC.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As previously mentioned, it sounds something like dust, condensation or a pending faulty psu.

Changing a psu is a very easy task, if you have a similar or like for like replacement available. If you have a 300w psu, it might pay to upgrade to an higher wattage, because you will then have a 'bit to spare' which is only going to cost you slightly more on purchasing.

Remember to unplug from the mains before delving into the case. And don't let anything wonder in the case, that might effect other components!.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

OK thanks will have a look and post back.

Like this post
lrkrjo

Likes # 0

Maplin UK sell a range of power supply units. I replaced a defective one in a Compaq Presario desktop PC. It was a 300w psu and cost 19.99 pounds. Part number WF87U . Easy to fit just photo and label all connectors first. Then replace like for like.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014