We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

reg error windows nt key missing

patso

Likes # 0

Hi, I seen to be missing windows nt users key in registry. I have been logged on a. Temporary user and amlooking for solutions to fix the problem. One says find hklm Software Microsoft windows n t current version profile list. Uhh key is missing any ideas please

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sounds like a driver problem for some reason. Although you don't state the OS I'd try a system restore.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You really need to be more exact when posting your problem. What exactly is the error message you are getting? Word for word please.

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Hi,i am having trouble logging in to windows.i am getting a temporary user profile and my original admin profile is still there in my user accounts.when i go and try repair it with reg editor i cant find the windows nt user profile with the .bak file ,which i need to delete.i am using vista home premium sorry for the lack of details in my first post,any ideas i need to find this key-HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList i need to do this-Under the ProfileList subkey, delete the subkey that is named SID.bak. I cant find this file.here is the web help page-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Hi,i am having trouble logging in to windows.i am getting a temporary user profile and my original admin profile is still there in my user accounts.when i go and try repair it with reg editor i cant find the windows nt user profile with the .bak file ,which i need to delete.i am using vista home premium sorry for the lack of details in my first post,any ideas i need to find this key-HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList i need to do this-Under the ProfileList subkey, delete the subkey that is named SID.bak. I cant find this file.here is the web help page-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

in regedit try ctrl f (find) in the find box type SID.bak

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If you have a Vista CD, would mit be possible to run a repair from that, if it like XP you ned to select the 2nd repir option not the first.

Terry

Like this post
patso

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for the replies. I couldn't find the register keys so herds what I did. I went to c drive explore. Found old user in users folder. Created a new profile. Logged on with new profile. Found old user documents that was missing and copied to new user folder. I then went to control panel, system advanced users and deleted the old profile I was having problems with. I thenlogged on with new profile and all my documents and settings where intact. When copying you leave these files in their original place- .nt dat and .nt user don't copy these to new location hope that helps anyone with same problem. Thanks again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014