We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB ports not recognising mass storage devices

Quiet Life

Likes # 0

I am running a dual boot XP Home and W7. Yesterday I copied files onto an HP media drive which connects to USB inside the PC and also to a flash drive connected to one of the two front USB ports. Having transferred the files to another PC I reinserted and found that the mass storage devices were no longer recognised and this also applied to all the other USB ports. Other devices webcam, mouse and keyboard were OK in any of the ports. Googled the problem and tried many suggestions without success. I had an old USB hub and connected that and mass storage devices worked if connected to the hub. I got the message that the devices would work quicker if connected to other ports so I assume the Hub is only USB1. I rebooted to W7 and the position was exactly the same mass storage devices not recognised. I believe it must be something in the bios as both systems are similarly involved. Any one with experience of this problem?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't know if you've seen this thread but the solution in 'the solution is so easy by jaybeef - 10/17/05 1:00 PM ' post seems to suggest removing all usb peripherals out side of the case, shutting down and remove the power supply. Instead of waiting a for 30 minutes I would then press and hold in the power switch for a minute or so. Reboot and connect your USB devices one after the other. Worth a try anyway.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As rdave13 the Drivers have got corrupted and capacitors are still holding a charge with the info. that why they need charge removing as above from the motherboard

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Thanks for above but regret did not work for me. Have also reinstalled MOBO drivers but problem still as posted. Why mass storage units only recognised when through a usb1 hub a mystery. Will reset bios and see if that helps meantime solution welcome

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Resetting bios and reinstalling mobo drivers did not sort the problem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip or In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat but did not work for me. It is odd how mass storage units fail to be recognised on an other version of XP and W7 which I have on the same PC if entered into USB ports but will be recognised if entered through a USB1 hub connected to these ports. This all happened at the same time and would seem to point to some hardware problem but it is a mystery. I am going to purchase a USB2 hub and see what how they work on that.

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

The USB2 hub lit up but was not recognised and thus any storage device connected to it did not show. I tested the hub on an other machine and it was immediately recognised as a USB2 hub. It is looking more like the problem is hardware related and USB 2 devices are not recognised.

Any more suggestions?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Checked USB settings in BIOS?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's an Intel board then have a look here.

Wondering if there's a conflict between both OSs for the mobo?

Like this post
Quiet Life

Likes # 0

Updated bios to latest available and also downloaded and installed latest chip drivers. All usb items, including the USB2 enhanced host controller, are shown as OK. Unistalled them all again, disconnected everything reset bios took out cimos battery , left for several hours and restarted. Entered bios and checked all USB including high speed USB were all correctly enabled. All the USB controllers were installed on start up and all said to be working OK. Position remains unchanged and USB2 devices not recognised. Anybody know how the hardware on the mobo works for USB2 as there seems to be little else that can cause this malfunction.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...