We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Updates

enviro
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am running Windows XP Prof. 2002 Service pack 3 on a refurbished HP Compaq dc 7600 small form factor. Quite happy with the computer except that it keeps saying that I have 6 updates to download, does so, says it's successful then a few minutes later it say's it again. I have restarted after the download, still the same. I have downloaded direct from Microsoft only to be told that these updates did not download, yet when you go to update history, it say's they downloaded...yet that little yellow shield still has it's exclamation mark in it. I have installed Microsoft Fix It Center, that say's it's fixed the problem too.....nope... Advice please!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Switch automatic updates off and then try and download them manually 1 at a time and see if you can find the one giving the problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or download them manually and click on each one and tick don't show update again.

Like this post
enviro

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman, am trying to do as you ask, just downloaded 1 of the 6 through Microsoft updates, said it was ok, gone through the motions to get the next one and it's telling me I still have 6 to go, always the same ones.... x86 ( KB979909) (KB982168) X86 (KB241824) X86 (KB2572073) X86 (KB2539631) X86 (KB2518864) Done two now and still the same.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just click on them one at a time and a box should open underneath saying don't show update again, Tick the box.

That way they stop appearing.

Like this post
enviro

Likes # 0

Done that but Microsoft says Ive hidden important updates, update history says I've got them downloaded but is also telling me I need to download them. Need "Fat Ed".....

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try going to SERVICES and STOP the Windows Update service. Restart your PC and START the Service again to see if that helps.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

It looks as though these are all .NET Framework related updates and I had the same issues as yourself.

Initially I did as buteman suggests,accepted that they were already installed, and just opted to hide them to stop them popping up.

When I next had an hour or so to spare I tackled and cured the problem by completely removing all the .NET Framework installations (use the Microsoft .NET Framework removal tool to do this) and reinstalling all.with all relevant updates,from scratch.

You may be lucky and get away with only uninstalling the versions of .NET Framework that the offending updates apply to but if you remove all it will take about an hour to reinstall everything.

This worked for me and stopped the updates reappearing after they were installed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There does appear that these latest updates have a problem. I downloaded them yesterday, and was informed that they had been installed successfully, except one which could not be installed.

Today, I have been advised that that the same downloads are ready for installing, which have now been installed again successfully!.

Have to see what happens when I reboot the computer tomorrow?.

Like this post
enviro

Likes # 0

New Year's Greetings! I have followed the instructions with the .NET removal Tool and got a Fatal Engine Error (Ox79280436)whilst running it, but it did remove all .NET Framework's on my PC. The PC would not restart or shutdown to then go on to the stage of re-installing. Have also had Error code ox643 and something about not having a JIT Debugger availabe. So have system restored and am for the moment putting up with the un-downloaded updates. Would buying a brand new Windows Vista operating system get rid of these tiresome problems, my XP must have a serious corruption in its .NET Framework and I am totally jacked off with the whole thing. What to do next?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you are having thoughts about changing your O.S.then why bother with Vista. I would go for Windows 7 - like any PC with any O.S. it won't be without problems but you will have less of them. I have been with Win7 from day 1 (release date Sept.2009) and never had any regrets.

You would have to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor download from Microsoft first to see if your system is capable of running Win7. enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous