We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Protect my laptop

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi Recently purchased a new laptop, with the usual "3 months free Mcafee" - firstly i want to stop this reminder - i assume i can just uninstall anything Mcafee related?

Secondly, i'd like to ask what is the best free laptop security out there nowadays. For my current laptop i use: AVAST MalwarebyAnti-malware spyware blaster

thanks!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like you already know :0)

that's a good combination.

just make sure you use the mcafee removal tool to get rid of it coeewctly before trying to install your new AV.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

When unistalling, you might like to have a look here...http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

and for a good, free security program, have a look at this.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

PS. Don't forget a firewall as well. If using Win7, the windows firewall should be fine.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

Yup, on windows 7, cheers.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

iscanut - thanks for the link to the macafee removal. i have registered and i aam struggling at step 7: 7.Under the My Protection Products section, select the subscription from which you would like a license released

there appears to be no way to select the fee subscription to then carry out the subsequent step of deactivating from the laptop.

help!

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Sorry you having trouble..Have never used this so are there any ex McAffee users out there ?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You don't need to register.Just scroll down the page to Download and run MCPR.exe and run it.

You have to remove McAfee first from add remove then run the tool.

Just follow the instructions for removal.Never mind signing in for anything.

You may get a few boxes opening with letters and numbers that you have to type into the box.Just type them in as you see them.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

ta, the link does say though: IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of your computer, ensure that you activate your McAfee subscription before uninstalling.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

collinsc

I Only ran it 2 days ago and I have already forgotten most of it.

Nothing worse a new laptop and the first thing you have to do is remove programs.

If you just follow the instructions and see what happens.All i can tell you is that i did not need to sign in anywhere to remove it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...