We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer had a paper jam - now alignment is out and paper keeps jamming?!

PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi everyone - sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place - if I have, maybe you could guide me to the correct one.

I have an Epson Stylus SX515W and the other day a paper jam occurred. The only way to fix it was to pull the paper back out the way it came in as there wasn't enough paper to grasp it and pull it out the way it should have come. Anyway, since then, it just won't print anything as it keeps saying the paper is jammed and you can hear the printer "knocking" as it moves from left to right. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it broken? (It's not even like its really old and we haven't really used it that much).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Oh and I've tried to print out the Printer Alignment page out via the Maintenance tab in the print window, and it does the same thing (makes the knocking sound, then jams).

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

It sounds as if some paper has been left behind. Can you see into the area where the paper is being printed upon. It is always better to pull the jammed paper out via the direction it should go if this at all possible. Is there an access door at the rear of the printer?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for your reply. No, there isn't any paper left inside. I couldn't remove the paper the "correct" way so last resort was to pull it back out the way it went in :(

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

So I have used the "copy" option to copy a 6x4 photo and that has come through ok - with no knocking or jamming (but when I tried copying something the full size of the screen it is obvious the heads are misaligned, although there was no knocking).

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi - me again.

I've spent the past hour messing with the printer with no success.

For some reason, the printer is thinking it has a paper jam when the print head sits back in its "resting" position. Could it think it has a paper jam if it needs a clean inside? Just a thought.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

When you had the original paper jam are you sure that you pulled out the complete sheet of jammed paper? When you say that you copied a 6 x 4 photo and then an A4 sheet of paper did that A4 paper go through?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi - yes the A4 sheet went straight through (I just printed a 6x4 photo on it). It does seem that every time the actual print head "box" settles in his home position, it says there is a paper jam and that I have to switch the printer off. Other than take it to pieces to see if there is any paper stuck that is out of sight, I really don't know what to do.

As to the alignment, I have managed to print out a document that I had typed - from the left side of the paper to the middle, the print is fine - but from the middle to the right side of the paper, the print is blurry so the alignment is clearly still wrong - but I'm not actually sure what needs adjusting to fix whatever prints the middle to the right text.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Have you tried taking the cartridge(s) out and having a look at where they sit in case there is some rubbish underneath. When you removed the first A4 paper was it complete i.e. no bits missing?

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi - as far as I could tell by lining up the broken pieces, there wasn't any missing - but I will most definitely have a look inside/under the cartridges.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

There doesn't seem to be anything under the printer cartridge - but it definitely thinks there is a paper jam in there - even when there is no paper in the paper feed. Think I will try and take it to pieces tonight as at this rate gonna need a new one :-(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia