We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer had a paper jam - now alignment is out and paper keeps jamming?!

PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi everyone - sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place - if I have, maybe you could guide me to the correct one.

I have an Epson Stylus SX515W and the other day a paper jam occurred. The only way to fix it was to pull the paper back out the way it came in as there wasn't enough paper to grasp it and pull it out the way it should have come. Anyway, since then, it just won't print anything as it keeps saying the paper is jammed and you can hear the printer "knocking" as it moves from left to right. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it broken? (It's not even like its really old and we haven't really used it that much).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Sadly, I think printers are disposable these days. Unless you paid lots for it.

Google reveals your printer 'available' between £45 and £184!!

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Hvae you tried alignment and/or cleaning heads as per pages 42-44 in user manual

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Have you tried Windows Test Sheet? will probably give the same result. If it does give the same result, it would confirm a hardware fault in the printer.

With the printer disconnected from the mains have you tried running the ink unit along the track manually, being particularly careful to make sure that the action is smooth both ways, with no sensation of a trip or a snag along the path?

These are simple tests which may not make any difference except to rule out or at best show up some mechanical bother.

When it comes to dismantling, Epson make it difficult just to keep fiddling fingers out! The case on my old 870 needs a wealth of wooden sticks to wedge the plastic clips open until the case can be prised off.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. Yes I have discovered they make it pretty impossible to open it yourself so that option has fallen flat on its behind. I have also run the cartridge section along the track and it appears to run smoothly. I have been trying to do the realignment of the heads, but it keeps getting interrupted by the printer saying it had a paper jam and that I had to switch it off, remove the paper, then switch it back on (by which time I had to restart the alignment!!!!). Interestingly, it will now print the initial realignment first sheet without stopping halfway through due to a "paper jam", but now typically it won't print because my Magenta ink has run out (grrrr). I therefore can't try anything else until my new ink arrives (double grrrr).

I'm not sure how to run a Windows Test Sheet - but I will certainly look into it and do it when up and running.

Annoyingly, we haven't used the entire printer/scanner/copier hardly at all - and we only got it in June 2010. I can't believe that one single paper jam can break a printer!

As you have said, they're not overly dear these days, but considering its only a year-and-a-half old, I didn't expect to need to buy a new one because of this.

Thanks again for your help.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Easy to say when it's not my problem, so in my imagination some delicate limit switch has been damaged by an unlucky pull at the paper (creased or strengthened by a fold) and now one of these is jammed open or shut and all you get is an error message.

I think you would be lucky to find the errant part even if you adopt a try it and see I've nothing to lose--- sort of approach.

Your printer doesn't even look like mine, but the same sort of click-fit case is very likely. Much easier to assemble than dismantle... but have a look underneath and near the edge of the base, there may be several slots at intervals where a sharp screwdriver can push a hook-like tag away. If there are such places then cocktail stick sized pieces of wood can replace the screwdriver to keep the catch open when you move on to the next...... More modern cases may have a fit-once approach and there you are truly stuck! Enjoy your Christmas.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

If you go down the avenue of dismantling the printer be aware that if you turn it upside down, which you may have to do to access the clips, that the inkpad, where the printhead rests, may be full of ink which can go EVERWHERE as I found out to my cost some years ago. Have plenty of newspaper to hand plus make sure that the ink contained in that pad does not stray elsewhere within the printer itself. I spent nearly a full day cleaning up after turning it over unwittingly.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice. Have a good Christmas! :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'