We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Startup Freeze Problem

Legslip

Likes # 0

Every now and then when my pal start his desktop running windows vista, it gets to the black screen with 'micosoft corp' and the scrolling green bars, but just stays on this screen for ages.

I end up holding down the power button and restarting again, this causes the 'there was a problem starting up your machine last-time' screen with the two options, run problem fixer or start normally, sometimes if i skip the startup repair option and go with 'start windows normally' it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Just randomly happens so you are never sure if you have fixed it or not and it's a real pain in the rear

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like a driver problem - (drivers loaded at the scrolling bars)

if it loads OK in safe mode then most likely drivers

try updating / reinstalling drivers starting with graphics driver

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks F. Bat. When it palys up it seems to boot OK into Safe Mode. Also, I think it's OK in MSCONFIG -Selective Startup with all Startup Items disabled but System Services allowed. I say 'think it's OK' cos it's such a random problem.

Will update ALL drivers and keep fingers X. Seems to be a fairly common thread with Vista but no real solutions.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

The most likely culprit at that stage is the IDE (hard disk) controller driver. Especially true if recently added a different disk or changed IDE/SATA mode in BIOS.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Update: I have disabled ALL startup processes and the Display Adapter. The b....y problem still occasionally occurs. Does disabling the Display Adapter stop Vista from loading it's drivers?

Would consider an upgrade to Win 7 if I thought it would fix problem but I'm not confident it would.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Chkdsk.sfc /scannow. Try with Add-ons disabled.See if it starts any quicker with the firewall switched off.

Have they changed their Anti-virus lately without removing the previous one properly.Have they got Norton installed.

Just had the same sort of problem with my Grand Daughters laptop and restoring it to factory setting looks like it has worked.Starts up in about 90 seconds and it used to take about 7 minutes.

Try the usual Malwarebytes and HitmanPro.I tried all of the usual stuff and nothing was found then tried Eset and it found 4 problems which I deleted.It did not fix the start up time but the laptop ran a bit quicker.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[Laptop ran a bit quicker.] I should have added before that it would not let me run sfc /scannow.Chkdsk or system repair.It did after eset found the problems.

It also does the slow start up when installing windows updates but does not say it is installing updates.So have they had any problems running Windows Updates.

Switch Automatic updates off and make sure the A/virus is not scanning at start up.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman. AVirus (is ESET) is swiched off at startup and I have updates switched off as well. Virus scans show nothing and no Norton installed. It isn't slow to start, it just on occasions refuses to start at all. Just keep seeing the Microsoft Corporation logo with the running bar. It's a baffler!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not needing a clean up inside of the computer does it.

Surprise you how much dust and fluff you get inside a computer and usually worse if you have pets in the house.Make sure the fans are working ok and the CPU is not clogged up with fluff.

Like I said my Grandaughter was having the same problem and sometimes it would take up to 7 minutes for the Laptop to start properly.The back to Factory setting worked out ok and it starts fairly quickly now.

Tried most things before factory settings but could not fix the slow start up.

Nothing in Event viewer that will give you a hint of the problem.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

I'm not going to be much help here - I had a similar problem, it was caused by two start up processes running at the same time and the wrong one getting ahead. I found a download somewhere on Microsoft's site that restricted start up processes to running one at a time and I've had no problems since.

Trouble is I can't remember where I found it and a search on Microsoft Answers gives about 700,000 results. Also, you say you've disabled all start up processes with no joy.

I think it was Microsoft's Fix It which led me to the solution, though I can't find it now. Still, it might be worth a try - Fix It

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Think I may have cracked it. In Device Manager there was showing a Microsoft 6 to 4 Adaptor and a Microsoft Isatap Adapter as not functioning properly. I think the PC was searching for their drivers on boot up. I have disabled them and about 40 restarts have produced no further problem. Can't be certain, but fingers crossed.

Any thoughts?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...