We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony Vaio Problems

Bartekuk

Likes # 0

i have brought a sony vaio pcg-791m laptop for spares/repair i thought it is an easy fox as it said that its a blank screen i have fixed a laptop with blank screen before but this laptop seems different the symptoms are when i have the power plug in the battery light flashes im not shore if this is ok or not but when i press the on button the 3 lights at the top stay on all the time and all the light on the bottom except the battery button but when i try to shut down the laptop by pressing the on button the battery light comes on and it depends on how long i press the on button the light will come on eg if i press the power button on for 1 minute the battery light will be on for one minute at the same time what every i do the screen does not respond i tried removing hdd and ram but still nothing tried booting without battery or with still nothing and now i have no ideas what to do next so please help me

Like this post
You Lose

Likes # 0

If the battery light is flashing when plugged in, that means it's charging. Have you removed the BIOS battery and left everything unpluged for 30mins? your bios might be corrupt. if you haven't then its worth a try

Like this post
Bartekuk

Likes # 0

does this mean that i have to disassemble the laptop to its mother board ??

Like this post
You Lose

Likes # 0

Yeah :) should be pretty easy to do.

Like this post
Bartekuk

Likes # 0

do you have any other suggestions ?

Like this post
You Lose

Likes # 0

Well, ive had two laptops that has had similar problems - blank screen and all. Most of the time it comes down to a faulty motherboard. Try plugging it into a external monitor and see if anything comes up, If nothing happens - try disconnecting the laptop screen from the Motherboard; try again like that. Be sure to take the laptop battery out and power supply & hold on button for 30seconds to empty the caps.

Like this post
Bartekuk

Likes # 0

well i tried to put it through external monitor and pressing fn + f5 to switch but it said no signal and tried the thing with holding the power button for 30 to 60 secs but have not tried to disconnect the screen

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

On all my Sony Laptops it's fn + f7

Like this post
Bartekuk

Likes # 0

its different keys on different keyboards but im talking about the switch button between screen and external monitor

Like this post
Bartekuk

Likes # 0

im not shore if the battery is not dead aswell as i was charging it for about a hour or more and when i disconnected the power supply i had no response when i pressed the power button

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove battery, try on mains only.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......