We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 scam

dlguk
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a call today from outside this country claiming to be phoning on behalf of Microsoft as I have been having a bit of bother with my PC (blue screens, sites that I use not opening, just can’t get SP1 to install) I let him keep talking. I asked the name of the company, still none the wiser. He said that M/soft had received a report from my PC and forwarded it to them. He asked me to: • Type ‘inf online’ in Run and see how many PNF files there were....a lot • Type ‘eventvwr’ in Run, the Event Viewer window opened • Under Windows Log/Application 5628 events about 100 red errors, the rest yellow. • I don’t recall what I typed in CMD but it brought up my PCs unique ID which he read saying that was the number they had from M/Soft. • Onto a supervisor, then the crunch, “windows firewall licence has expired, tell me your email address and we will bill you through PayPal, £40 one off payment” He actually gave me London number when I told him I would think about it. I think a ‘Restore to Factory settings’ is in order, any other views??

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, nice one :)

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

When I received "the call" a couple of weeks ago, I told him he couldn't possibly know I had a problem unless he had my (WAN) IP address as allocated by my ISP. He then insisted my IP address was 192.168.1.2 which, in a considerable number of cases, would be a correct LAN IP address. However, my PCs are in the 192.168.5.0 subnet and it was the WAN address he needed. He then went on to tell me my postal address! Several times during the conversation I told him to "shut up and listen" to no avail and eventually I just had to hang up.

Yesterday, I had another call but, as I was too busy to string him along, I just said there was nothing wrong with my computer and hung up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

mgmcc, yes they do make you laugh with their supposedly 'we know all about you'

192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 etc, are Router Home pages that you log into to change your router settings....

My telephone directory is full of phone numbers and postal addresses.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I haven't had one of these calls yet, if I do it's going to be an interesting conversation because I only use Linux.

I like the one about the microwave though, I'll have to remember that one.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

yeah, well he was only following instructions, they asked him to do a 'ping' in cmd window ;0)

Can you do a ping? Yes I think so.. I'm doing it, I'm doing it - listen (holds phone nearer to microwave) PING!

Long Pause.

That's a microwave isn't it? .....Uh uh

(expletive) and they hung up on him.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

yea good one lotvic, I am gona close this now but a big thanks to all who contributed, I had never heard of that scam but look forward to a bit of fun if they call again.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia