We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 scam

dlguk
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a call today from outside this country claiming to be phoning on behalf of Microsoft as I have been having a bit of bother with my PC (blue screens, sites that I use not opening, just can’t get SP1 to install) I let him keep talking. I asked the name of the company, still none the wiser. He said that M/soft had received a report from my PC and forwarded it to them. He asked me to: • Type ‘inf online’ in Run and see how many PNF files there were....a lot • Type ‘eventvwr’ in Run, the Event Viewer window opened • Under Windows Log/Application 5628 events about 100 red errors, the rest yellow. • I don’t recall what I typed in CMD but it brought up my PCs unique ID which he read saying that was the number they had from M/Soft. • Onto a supervisor, then the crunch, “windows firewall licence has expired, tell me your email address and we will bill you through PayPal, £40 one off payment” He actually gave me London number when I told him I would think about it. I think a ‘Restore to Factory settings’ is in order, any other views??

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay to you all, ok Lotvic, I wasn’t asked to ‘ping’ just enter a command wgich brought up a lot of info like PC name a list of things way over my head a 3rd from the bottom a number in 3 sections, a little like a product key but not. Sorry I didn’t make a note of, wish I had.

Woolwell, nothing to do with account name or details

Mooley, yep just another way of MS scaring us simpletons to death :)

ZaphodBeeblebrox, I like to let them hang themselves and waste their time, I mean to tell me that win7 f/wall only lasts a month then one has to pay a one off fee to get it for life, hmm!!

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay to you all, ok

Lotvic, I wasn’t asked to ‘ping’ just enter a command wgich brought up a lot of info like PC name a list of things way over my head a 3rd from the bottom a number in 3 sections, a little like a product key but not. Sorry I didn’t make a note of, wish I had.

Woolwell, nothing to do with account name or details

Mooley, yep just another way of MS scaring us simpletons to death :)

ZaphodBeeblebrox, I like to let them hang themselves and waste their time, I mean to tell me that win7 f/wall only lasts a month then one has to pay a one off fee to get it for life, hmm!!

Thank you all

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My money goes on the Product Version ID. Bet it was like this example one for Vista

Windows Product ID: 00426-OEM-8992662-00497 (instead of OEM there will be numbers if it is a Retail Product)

All that does is tell which version of Windows it is and all of the installations on pc's of that version have the same Product Version ID. So if they tricked you into telling what W7 you have they would know what the ID was for that version.

The scammers are sneaky trying to con that it is a unique ID

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Yep lotvic, boy do I feel stupid (the only thing I told them) but no harm done, thank you, that does look about right.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No need to feel stupid, I remember when I didn't know I could be offline when composing an email in Outlook Express...... Used to have heck of a phone bill as there was only dial-up then. lol

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Yep lotvic, I too rememeber those days too, working with Win95, using apps to halt and continue downloads. Wow when one thinks of those times, arggggggggggggggg. Yet we didn't have the creeps that we have noadays. I may contact Trading standards and pass on the number I was given to save others from getting caught out. Thank you again

Like this post
hopelessuser

Likes # 0

I got one of those phone calls too! I only got as far as opening eventwvr or whatever, but that was after i hung up the phone on them. Should i be worried? i didn't do anything else beyond that. When they called again after i hung up, i told them that i wouldn't be needed there help and hung up again. I'm running a scan now just to be safe.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Cheers hopelessuser,

I like to make them waste their time, rotten ain’t I? But when one thinks of all those who will fall for it, it makes me mad.

Like this post
hopelessuser

Likes # 0

i like making them waste their time too but my sister was sleeping in the next room and getting annoyed with the call, or i would have totally gone off on them. I've read some pretty funny replies from people online. anyway I'm guessing i'm safe, since they didn't access my computer or anything? thanks for the reply!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well don't feel bad,just had phone call from my son and he's had one of the Scam calls today. He was surprised at just how forceful and convincing they are. He strung them along for a bit until they sussed that he was in front of the microwave pressing buttons..... it was when it went 'ping' that gave the game away. My son is a Network Administrator. lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia