We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 scam

dlguk
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a call today from outside this country claiming to be phoning on behalf of Microsoft as I have been having a bit of bother with my PC (blue screens, sites that I use not opening, just can’t get SP1 to install) I let him keep talking. I asked the name of the company, still none the wiser. He said that M/soft had received a report from my PC and forwarded it to them. He asked me to: • Type ‘inf online’ in Run and see how many PNF files there were....a lot • Type ‘eventvwr’ in Run, the Event Viewer window opened • Under Windows Log/Application 5628 events about 100 red errors, the rest yellow. • I don’t recall what I typed in CMD but it brought up my PCs unique ID which he read saying that was the number they had from M/Soft. • Onto a supervisor, then the crunch, “windows firewall licence has expired, tell me your email address and we will bill you through PayPal, £40 one off payment” He actually gave me London number when I told him I would think about it. I think a ‘Restore to Factory settings’ is in order, any other views??

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I wonder if they were trying to con you with the Local Host ID 127.0.0.1

In cmd prompt type in ping localhost

just google it... you can buy T shirts with the logo 'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Yep Batch thats possible but the info on that CDM window also had the name of my PC, I am really not qualified to answer that. Lets face it I can't even install SP1 (win7), i have done but restored my PC and since then no chance, I have tried d/loading it and turning off Avast (offline instalation).

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

lotvic, hi, pinged 'local host' all well there but like I said I wasn't going to offer them any opportunity so stayed offline and had I been ask to ping and give results I'd have hung up :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"the info on that CDM window also had the name of my PC"

"pinged 'local host' all well there"

slight misunderstanding there, I was wondering if they had asked you to ping your own pc, which would bring up your name of PC followed by [127.0.0.1] and if they had told you that 127.0.0.1 was your PCs unique ID

Just out of interest, did you make a note for your own use of the 'unique ID'. I am intrigued, I don't seem to have one. Are there any more clues so I can have a guess what they are using to trick people?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Were they referring to your user account and guessing that you have used your name?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm thinking Product ID for the version of W7 (that's not the product key)

Like this post
mobing

Likes # 0

somehting strange , that is like the address !

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I wouldn't bother trying to figure event viewers errors unless you have a very very specific issue that affects your PC... I would say that all are just a normal part of the way Windows works.

Even MS acknowledge that EV is full of reported errors and that they are of no concern.

Like this post
ZaphodBeeblebrox

Likes # 0

I also got a call from "Microsoft service and support headquarters" Look out for them, it's scam! When I told them that I run a mac and don't need their help they hung up...After the call I checked the phone number on http://www.tellows.co.uk and it seems as if they are really "active" at the moment.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay to you all, ok Lotvic, I wasn’t asked to ‘ping’ just enter a command wgich brought up a lot of info like PC name a list of things way over my head a 3rd from the bottom a number in 3 sections, a little like a product key but not. Sorry I didn’t make a note of, wish I had.

Woolwell, nothing to do with account name or details

Mooley, yep just another way of MS scaring us simpletons to death :)

ZaphodBeeblebrox, I like to let them hang themselves and waste their time, I mean to tell me that win7 f/wall only lasts a month then one has to pay a one off fee to get it for life, hmm!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad