We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 scam

dlguk
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a call today from outside this country claiming to be phoning on behalf of Microsoft as I have been having a bit of bother with my PC (blue screens, sites that I use not opening, just can’t get SP1 to install) I let him keep talking. I asked the name of the company, still none the wiser. He said that M/soft had received a report from my PC and forwarded it to them. He asked me to: • Type ‘inf online’ in Run and see how many PNF files there were....a lot • Type ‘eventvwr’ in Run, the Event Viewer window opened • Under Windows Log/Application 5628 events about 100 red errors, the rest yellow. • I don’t recall what I typed in CMD but it brought up my PCs unique ID which he read saying that was the number they had from M/Soft. • Onto a supervisor, then the crunch, “windows firewall licence has expired, tell me your email address and we will bill you through PayPal, £40 one off payment” He actually gave me London number when I told him I would think about it. I think a ‘Restore to Factory settings’ is in order, any other views??

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is a well known scam. Did you give any card or payment details? There is almost certainly nothing wrong with your pc. Microsoft do not cold call. Did they take control of your PC? Do not pay these people.

Run a virus scan and anti-malware scan as a precaution.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

And Microsoft say Don't fall for phoney support call

"Cybercriminals have started calling people on the telephone, claiming to be from Microsoft, and offering to help solve their computer problems. Once cybercriminals have gained a victim’s trust, they can do one or more of the following: - Trick people into installing malicious software on their computer. - Take control of a victim’s computer remotely and adjust settings in order to leave the computer vulnerable. - Request credit card information so that cybercriminals can bill for the phony services.

Microsoft will not make unsolicited phone calls to help you with your computer. If you receive a phone call like this, hang up."

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Thank you both, when on the phone I made sure I was offline. I didn't give any details at all not even an email address. How was he able to correctly access my PCs ID (I don't mean IP address?)

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

He did not know - You told him in the conversation

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

noway compumac, I offered no information and I said in my post I didn't know how to get to it. Oh btw Woolwell I did run both malware and antivirus software-no threats found.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

duguk I would apologise for that then, it was just that a friend of mine was in the same situation as you and in the conversation the person asked him to check the ID shown on the PC and then indicated "Yes that is right". My friend only remembered that part of the conversation after I pushed him into thinking back. It is rather like in these surveys carried out in public places that you realise afterwards that you have inadvertently given out information that you would not have done normally but got caught on the hop.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Np compumac, I was suspicious from the start but just want to hear the catch so let him ramble. The main reason for the Thread was all those errors in Event Viewer etc and if I can 'clean' them.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

".. those errors in Event Viewer etc and if I can 'clean' them."

If you double click the error in Event Viewer another window will open telling you what it refers to. Many are nothing to worry about, but there is a Microsoft URL at the bottom which will take you to the MS site for more information and corrective action (if available) in the form of a 'Help' page which pops up.

It may ease your mind and help with any real problems.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

thanx johndrew, I will go though them later, Merry Christmas

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

As you say

"I don’t recall what I typed in CMD but it brought up my PCs unique ID which he read saying that was the number they had from M/Soft"

How do you know it was your so called PCs unique ID? Surely it could have been anything and he was just read out to you some standard code that is somewhere inside your (and everybody elses) Windows system that he told you was your PCs unique ID.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added