We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem with scanner...driver?

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

Thank you for coming to my rescue.

I am running WinXP sp3

My scanner is a Canon Lide 20.

For years I have accessed my scanner through a twain connection in Photoshop.

For a few months now the only way I could get the scanner to function, was to unplug the scanner and switch it back on, as the scanner went through a few clicks and whirs, which I take it is some form of scanner recognition, I had to quickly click import in Photoshops and provided I was quick enough to click import when the scanner was clicking and whirring, the scanner would function.

If I was not quick enough and the scanner finished its series of clicks and whirs before I clicked import,I would get an error message, I did not make a note of the errror message, sorry. In which I case I had to unplug the scanner and go through the process again.

But yesterday when I tried this it didnt work, when in Photoshop I clicked import, the scanner clicked and whirred, and I got an error message, which reads. ......................................................................

Turn Off Scanner and follow instructions in the manual.

Scanner driver will be closed.

Error 2,115,0 ......................................................................

I had a look and cannot see any manual associated with the scanner.

I am about to go on the net and locate new drivers for the scanner, not that I have any idea what the problem is, but thought I might do something useful while waiting for some kind soul to reply.

Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions? .... I think I will try to locate this error code on the Canon site...good start!

Thanks

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I didnt manage to get a definition of the error code, but I found a thread where it was being discussed, the main thrust of the thread came down in favour of fitting a double shielded usb cable, quite a few people found that by replacing the regular usb cable with a double shielded one cured the error code 2,115,0 and things worked normaly from then on.

Do you think it could be the cable? (comments please).

This time round I uninstalled and re-installed the Canon software and drivers and re-started the PC.

For the first couple of tries I was able to use the scanner normaly, but then things went wrong, when I tried to scan I got an error message which read. ......................................................................... Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed. .........................................................................

When I closed this error message I got yet another error message which read. ......................................................................... Could not open the TWAIN source. Make sure there is a valid source for your scanner in the TWAIN directory. .........................................................................

One last thing, this time round I installed the scanner manual.

Under trouble shooting I went through the 3 possibilities listed and did what they said, which led to me uninstalling and re-installing the drivers and software and re-starting the PC.

No mention of the error code 2,115,0 in the manual that I can find.

Does all this point to a suspect cable, or has my scanner died on me?

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Just thought I should add.

In the scanner manual these were the 3 possibilities I was given, I worked my way through these.

Cause 1: Scanning unit locked.

Solution: Unplug the USB cable, and set the lock switch on the scanner to the unlocked position.

Cause 2: Incorrectly connected USB cable.

Solution: Check the USB cable to ensure that they are correctly attached. Do not use a USB hub. Connect the USB cable directly to a USB port on the computer.

Cause 3: Scanner not identified.

Solution: Check to see if [Other devices] category appears in the [Device Manager]. 1. Right click [My Computer] and select [Properties]. 2. Select the [Device Manager] tab or click the [Device Manager] button in the [Hardware] tab. 3. If the [Other devices] category appears, the scanner is not indentified. 4. Uninstall the scanner driver (ScanGear CS) using the CanoScan Setup Utility CD-ROM and restart the computer. 5. Reinstall the scanner driver and restart the computer.

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Maybe I freaked everyone out with so much information, take your time.

Richard

Like this post
mobing

Likes # 0

you do all things yourself , thaks for your info .:lol

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

It sounds to me as if it is a hardware problem rather than software that has kicked this problem off. If you have already changed the USB cable, have you tried a different USB socket on your PC? You might also want to try refreshing the USB ports by removing and reinstalling their software click here for instructions

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I dont have a spare usb cable to try out. The one I have has a sort of cyclyndrical plastic container at one end of the cable, I thought it is special to the scanner.

I did try different ports, no success.

I have a neat piece of software that lets me quickly see my usb devices and uninstall and re-install their software, so done that too.

I hope in a way that it is a hardware fault, I have just been offered a new epson scanner that cost 200 euros for 30 euros, I like the idea of getting a scanner back working, I use it quite a lot.

So, what makes you think it is a hardware problem, and by hardware do you include the cable in that, could it be just a case of needing a new cable?

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

From your long posts listing the error messages I considered that the most probable cause was hardware, you have done the obvious software updates and that has not solved the problem. And yes I include the cable in the hardware. The scanner cable that you have with a cylindrical container is fitted with an extra RF shield, a good idea if you have lots of other cables running near it but it is not essential and I would try any USB cable that has compatible fittings (usually known as a USB A-B cable) - but you need to check what fittings you have. If it is the standard fitting you can pick up a cable in the Pound Shop just to try out - it won't be very well shielded but if you keep it away from your other cables it will at least show you if it is a cable problem or a scanner problem. If you have been offered a bargain new scanner then why not get it anyway? A spare is always useful!

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hmmm.

We are going to get the new scanner, its a bargain it comes with a lot of film scanning attachments, not that we should use them.

Apart from that in order to test the cable theory, could I just use a normal usb cable? ie not a shielded cable just a run of the mill usb cable, I think I have a sort of shielded usb cable, I got it with some hardwarem the cable is sheathed in some form of metal braiding, is this shielding?

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Yes you can try the normal usb cable you have as long as the connections fit the scanner and the PC. As I said, just try and run it away from other cables that may be carrying data, that's a precaution worth taking but may not be of any great significance.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Damn.

The scanner usb cable has a normal usb connection at one end, but a special plug on the other end, not a normal usb connector.

Buying new scanner after Christmas. Hey Ho.

Richard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...