We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

live messenger encounters a problem and closes a lot

Ellen G

Likes # 0

I've had this message for over a month and now occurs pretty much everytime I use it to go to my live hotmail inbox. It's a plain computer I used for work, XP sP3, ie8, patched with AVAST pro as antivirus. Scanned, uninstalled and reinstalled four times, twice by experts, repaired twice, to no avail. Messenger made my life easy. Have sent error messages to microsoft who are studying it but they won't use remote programme to look what is running and might be causing a conflict. Same problem occurs on laptop, also XP, but not installed updates for a while. Apart from Flash. Router person says it can't be router.

It's all very stressful for this retired silver surfer.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

try starting in safe mode with networking by pressing F8 before windows starts to load this will cut out a lot of the services etc that start up when windows starts normally. Once running use google to find hotmail sign in. If this works you know it is something that starts with windows which is causing your problems. 1 silver surfer to another.

Like this post
Ellen G

Likes # 0

Messenger is opening two copies of hotmail. You can see the two windows. Reinstalling windows, even clean, did not resolve the issue and microsoft has no idea. Someone suggested removing something in the registry, but old and scared. This is not the right time to experiment with registry settings. Maybe after Xmas.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

did you try safe mode? if so what was the result?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've read that the 'remember me' box ticked can do this. So if you can live with having to log in all the time try unticking the 'remember me' box.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

This has started happening on my two computers over the last couple of weeks, Vista and windows 7. I took it as a momentry drop on the internet connection as nothing else dropped out, so I will have to look into it more as well.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this thread. I don't seem to have this reg key.

Like this post
Ellen G

Likes # 0

I found the reg key as well. Worth a try when I am brave enough.

BW

Ellen

Like this post
Ellen G

Likes # 0

No effect. Clean reinstalled ie8 and WLE again. Fine for a day, then it reoccurs. A drag.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

I do not know a great deal about windows live messenger but check if you have your mail starting from two places, like an entry in the start up folder and a tick in the properties settings section which says to start with windows ?

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......