We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop takes over 6 minutes to start.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Grandaughters Laptop Acer Aspire takes over 6 minutes to start up.Most of the time on the welcome screen.

I have removed all of the old junk that i can with Winaso and CleAN uP and browsing history.Cleared most things out from msconfig and may have removed something that was needed.not sure.But will try and check them all before she calls for it this morning,

Anything you can think of for speeding it up would be appreciated.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This is a personal experience thing, but I really do not like registry cleaners.Judging by your post yesterday you had other problems with this laptop which you may or may not have solved. These registry cleaners can exacerbate problems rather than help. I must admit I have used Winaso in the past the other on (CleAN uP) I have never heard of or can find out anything about.

You could try a repair install which will hopefully replace any corrupted files.I personally do not like the repair option. Or you could copy everything from the HDD and perform a clean install.

You mentioned in your other post that you thought there might be a problem with the HDD have you tried this.HDD health. Useful in determining the health of your hard-drives

Like this post
badhair1963

Likes # 0

Have you tried sfc /scannow to ascertain whether or not there are any corrupt system files? Failing that, chkdsk.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok thanks for the Information but my Nephew came in said I would be better going back to Factory settings.

So going down that road just now so will see if it makes any difference when finished.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you have CCleaner on the laptop, then look in the 'Start-Up' section of the program, to see what is being loaded. There could be a few items that might require adjustments. At the same time, check to see if there are any 'fixes' required in the registry section of CCleaner.

CCleaner tends to be one of the more friendly programs, with less things to go wrong, when trying to resolve problems.

I tend to find that trying a repair, usually doesn't resolve the issues, with the final choice of doing a complete reformat. But at the same time, consideration must be taken on saving material already on the laptop, which might be required for future use!.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi Spuds to late my Nephew decided that a restore to Factory settings would be the best bet.So now about a third of the way through Windows updates at the moment.

As it was only the start up time that was the problem I am sure I could have worked on it and manage to get it down to a reasonable time, But I suppose back to factory settings will be best in the long run.

Closing and opening fairly quick just now but not sure if it will stay that way when all of the updates are downloaded.

Like this post  
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

We are all guilty of having too many applications in the start group.

The more there are the more the system has to trawl through kicking them into submission.

Simply slim down the items in that group to the essential programs to start the machine.

And yes a good clear out with CCleaner.too will help so too will reducing that swarm of shortcuts that litter the desktop

Going back to factory is the way to go- but thereafter Keep it simple

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

If it were only that simple.

My Grand daughter is useless when it comes to computers.She knows how to use one and that's about it.

When it comes to Running Security programs or removing anything properly she has not got a clue.

I could sit down and explain it to her.But she does not listen.

I think in the long run restoring back to factory setting was probably the best Idea.

I have put some new pay for security programs on it for her.But will she run them.I doubt it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not sure why you've paid when the free ones are fine?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

I have to agree with you most of the free ones are fine but the pay for ones gives you full time protection and help stop drive by trojan downloads.

So maybe gives her that bit of extra protection and help safeguard her Uni Work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger