We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 64 BIT?

Input Overload

Likes # 0

I'm thinking of finally going 64Bit, I shied away from this as there seemed to be a lack of drivers & software a year or ago but as that's all changed & 64Bit drivers are available for this reasonably recent DELL desk PC.

My question is - Will my Win7 serial code which was for the 32 Bit version work with 64?

I would assume the answer is no...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have a read here. I would telephone Microsoft; I think you have to uninstall then reistall, but check with them.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows7-windowsinstall/question-about-windows-7-installation-license/cde95d7f-6908-48d3-b80e-eff88d29e855

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Thanks for that! I assumed it would be a clean reinstall - I'm not that bothered about waiting for windows 8 & going 64Bit as I'm really pleased with 7. I'll give MS a ring & see what they say, in the past they have always been very helpful.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Will my Win7 serial code which was for the 32 Bit version work with 64?"

Yes

and if you want a copy with SP1 already on d/load the official .iso and burn to DVD from ClickHere scroll down to the English (USA) version and get the one with SP1 U (media refresh). You use your own Product Key to install.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just as an aside, I think you are worrying unnecessarily about drivers.

I went from XP 32 straight to Win 7 64 as soon as the RC was available.

Apart from the odd "Do you want Windows to search for a suitable driver?", and not too many even of those, I've had no problems.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If your OS was preloaded with your purchase from Dell, it is an OEM version so would suggest you check with Dell

If it was a full version follow lotvic post which should accept the serial number you already have

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July