We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chkdsk problem

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi. My grand daughter is home from University and has problems with her Laptop.

System repair in safe mode will not finish.sfc /scannow will not finish.So I started running chkdsk early this morning.

It has got to stage 4 of 5 and is struggling.

So far it has found 7 bad clusters and has replaced them.

Name\Windows\Winsxs\Temp\Pending~1\10b790~1,cdf File 95217 all are the same sort of file types but with different numbers.

It has already being running for about 5 hours and to me looks like it has stopped but a little bit of movement about every 20 minutes or so means that it is still running and so far has only completed 10% of the scan.

In my view if it keeps going at this speed it would probably be tomorrow or the day after before it completed the scan.

Is there any way of speeding it up or is it doomed to failure.

She never got a W/7 CD with it but it can be restored to Factory setting providing I can get out of chkdsk without the laptop crashing.

I have a W/7 home premium CD OEM version I believe, that I got for my computer so not sure if it would work on a laptop if it came down to a repair.

She obviously has work on the laptop that she does not want to loose but if I try and come out of chkdsk before it finishes it may just crash.

I can confirm that it is still moving but ever so slow.It has gone from 10% to 11% in the last hour.

11% Complete 123017 of 166128files processed.

So what do you think just leave it and let it run out.It is still at stage 4 and stage 5 might even be worse.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ It did charge the battery but the computer running most of the night must have drained it again or caused the battery to stop charging.

Going to make sure the battery is fully charged when i switch it off tonight.

My biggest problem is not being able to run System Repair.sfc /scannow.or chkdsk.

Smacks of a virus but will wait till tomorrow and scan with everything that I can find.

Pay for version of Emisoft found nothing or HitmanPro.But just got a feeling something is hiding in there somewhere.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

The hard drive sound as thought its about to fail.

chkdisk has already found 7 bad cluster on the drive. If files were found they had to be moved to another part of the drive before the cluster could be repaired. The more faulty Cluster/sectors it finds the longer it will take as the area to put these files becomes smaller and eventually the computer will stall.

The simplest solution would be to remove the drive and connect it to another computer via a caddy and copy the files that you can access to this computer then attempting to run chkdisk. I doubt you will be able to do it whilst connected to the laptop.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

But as they are only temps there must be a way to delete them I would have thought instead of chkdsk trying to scan them.

But as you can see I know not a lot about Laptops or hard drives.

grandaughter is coming down tomorrow to remove the stuff that she needs on to a flash drive or whatever you call it.

So not sure if a system restore back a month or so would make any difference.If not maybe a factory restore.I know not a lot about computers and even less about Laptops.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Unless you can repair the bad cluster/sectors on the hard drive a system restore may not work.

A bad cluster is an area of the hard drive that's become faulty. Any information already in this area may become corrupt making the document, picture or file unusable.

A little on bad cluster and how to repair Click here If the hard drive has a lot of bad clusters it can take hour or may be impossible to repair.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

buteman

I think they're not the temps you're thinking of. They're to do with the OSs updates and I think something has gone wrong and I agree with BRYNIT, the hdd is most probably flagging. Get all the info off the hdd as soon as, then restore to factory setting if you can. Burn the DVD discs backups if not all ready done. See how the hdd works. If you can check in 'Computer' to see how much space is available and if it seems small then a new Hdd is on the cards and you should be able to still restore to factory settings using the DVDs. I've replaced Laptop hdds in HP,Toshiba and Acer this way. It seems that replacing a hard drive is permitted with an OEM installation now.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

I think that i have cracked it.

I have been running most of my security scans in safe mode.

But decided to run it in normal mode and Eset picked up 4 problems but it would not let me into eset to see what the problem was.

So a reboot and stopped the scan as soon as it found the same problems.This time i could get in but eset would not remove them.Found out that they were something to do with java so set the settings to delete them.

Rebooted and tried chkdsk again and this time it worked and fixed the problems.so then tried sfc /scannow and that worked also and repaired a few files after a reboot.

So looking good and lets hope it stays that way.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

buteman

Good one! Percy Verance is a good chap :) Hope the Hdd is OK then.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Sorry missed your last post and thanks for all the info given.

i was beginning to think maybe the hard drive, the laptop is still a bit slow but faster than what it was.I dont know what half the stuff is she has on the laptop so not about to remove any just in case.

Just finishing another scan and everything all clear so far.

I removed java using Revo and downloaded the latest version.So with a bit or a lot of luck that should be it. But will leave this open until tomorrow just in case.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It is working ok and the battery is still fully charged so so far so good.

Another little problem about the time it takes to boot up but will open another thread about that,Thanks everyone for your help .it is always appreciated.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more