We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Formatting primary drive insitu

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

One of my flock has decided it is time to clear his hard drive and reinstall Windows XP from the Windows CD. He has hit a snag.

The machine is an old DELL laptop- thereby no Floppy.

When he inserts the Win CD and tries to overwrite/re install he is informed the current version is 'newer than the CD '-

This is because I assume what is on the Hard drive has all the updates whilst the CD is the Basic XP.

So He has asked me 'What next?' The answer would be simple if it were a tower with a floppy drive- Run Fdisk from a floppy.

But a machine with no floppy?

I then thought take the drive out and run it as an external on another machine then format it.

That may be the way to go.

But before I do that for him- is there a way for the primary drive to 'Format itself' insitu?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm sure the option to re-format the partition comes up when running the CD - has he tried the full format and not the quick one?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

He is trying to run it from within windows he will need to boot from the cd by going into the bios and setting it to boot from CD first then put CD in drive and reboot.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Tell him to check the product key on the sticker first because laptops often get the number worn off through constant use on laps.

Like this post  
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

SB Of course, I bet he did not thingk of boot from CD I shall be seeing him tonight- we shall see [ before we down our Tuesday Murphy;s and Jameison .

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

That message can also be received if the CD has fewer service packs than the version that is installed and an attempt is made to repair instead of continuing to install a fresh version.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback