We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

random blue screen now asking to install system discs command prompt R

jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

please could someone help out with this procedure. comp flows through start up screens andthen mentions missing or corrupt system file, and to try to re install system discs with command prompt R... from memory... its on my main pc. It had been going through random blue screen moments then cycling round and noticed it was downloading an update, and now is at present stage.. please help, and hope it dont end up being harddrive!! cheers John

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

tap F8 on boot until you see a black screen with white writing. click Safe Mode. It'll take a while, but when you see the desktop follow this guide. Note. this is for XP. There are links on the page to guides for other OS.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

thanks, well here is the exact message... and I am on XP. Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair..

I hope this helps shed a bit of light on it, this came up after an update but also after the random bluescreens, but at least with the bluescreens i could operate at times in between...
with regard to above which first screen? the first screen as the comp is booting up? or does it mean first screen when i put in setup cd? cheers for help...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1/ Restart your PC.

2/ Keep tapping the F8 Button until a menu appears.

3/ When the menu appears use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select the ‘Last known good configuration’ option.

4/ Once selected press Enter.

5/ Your PC should now reinstall the ‘last known good configuration file’

6/ Restart your PC and see if the problem has been solved

7/ If it hasn’t report back here as we will have to resort to a harder method. Harder Method below.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

hi, thanks for info. it asked to boot from floppy, cd drive, dvd drive etc.. so scrolled down now message: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot drive and press a key. thanks, and happy new year all.. and hopefully a painless computer-stress-less one for all!!!!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

enter set up (BIOS) and set first bootdevice as CD 2nd as Hard drive - save and exit (f10)

see if it boots

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

tried to get on to bios... but struggling... its a mesh comp approx 6 years old. I have found the recovery discs that came with comp. thanks for help so far, but not really made any progress... can't seem to have a command prompt either to type anything in. cheers

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd start off by going into Safe Mode and trying a System Restore.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Operating System?

Do you have the Disks for the system or was it pre installed?

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

thanks for views. Its a mesh comp, i believe i have the back up discs yes... also excuse my ignorance but please could you explain procedure onthelimit11. thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features