We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to Get Rid of Counterfeit Nero Product Key

ame

Likes # 0

A number of years ago I was sold a counterfeit copy of Nero 7 Premium on Ebay. It keeps crashing and when I try to download a new free copy from Softpedia it won't install because the illegal product key is automatically inserted in the install wizard. I have tried uninstalling the counterfeit software using Revo Uninstaller with the advanced setting to get rid of as many registry entries etc as I can but still cannot get rid of this old product key. Can anyone tell me how to delete it? I'm running Windows XP.

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Just realised you can change product key in Nero Startsmart. I will try to delete the invalid key without putting a new one in, restart the pc and use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Nero. Then I'll try downloading the free version again.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

If StartSmart won't play and you have uninstalled every scrap you can.

Edit the Registry. Not hard, just pay attention and have patience.

Go to Start> Run> ( type regedit )and press Enter

Go to Edit, and select Find Next (F3) and Enter. In the box Find What, type nero and press Enter.

Now you can go through a routine. You press F3 and depending how far in a delay of very lttle or up to 10 or 20 seconds. there will be a reference to Nero and all you do is press Delete and Enter........ Then F3 again and so on. Deletions are permanent so if in doubt ignore it, press F3 and go on to the next. Just how many deletions will be needed is any one's guess but be prepared for 20 at very least.

If you get bored or fed up you can always cancel regedit, keeping the changes you made and return later. In fact you may not clear every reference first time through, but a repeat of the same search will be very fast.

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Thanks Diemmess. Deleting the key didn't help. Left with blank invalid key! Will try the Nero General Clean Tool but don't think that will go deep enough either. Failing that, I'll try your suggestion.

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Well there was only one registry entry left and that couldn't be entirely deleted, so still no luck. Went onto another pc and tried to download Nero 7 Premium on that and got the same problem - a blank serial number box preventing installation, so the problem is apparently with the website!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more