We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hitachi DZ-HV575e Video Editing

highlands

Likes # 0

Have bought Hitachi DZ-HV575e mini camcorder which creates AVI files on SDHC card for each video clip. I wish to import the clips directly into a video editing package and drag to timeline for editing but can't get the well known packages to handle the AVI clips correctly. I've run them under Win XP/SP3 and Win7.

The supplied free Arcsoft Media Impression 1.12 is extremely basic and slow for editing. I've tried to use Sony Vegas Platinum HD 10 and my older Pinnacle Studio 10.7 to import the AVI files but the AVI files seem to be incompatible. I've also tried to play the AVI files with various other software with mixed results. Cyberlink PowerDirector seems to think the clips are NTSC although I've checked the camera setting is PAL.

As a workaround I have used Arcsoft Media Impression to create a single Mpeg file from the individual clip AVI files and successfully imported this into Pinnacle. Pinnacle automatically splits the Mpeg file into the individual scenes ready for editing. Sony Vegas imports the Mpeg file but does a poor job of scene splitting. PowerDirector goes through an NTSC to Pal conversion. Somewhere I also lose the High Definition of the original clips.

Either way it is a long tedious task just getting to the editing starting line. Is there a better way? I would like to be able to import the AVI files directly into Sony Vegas or Pinnacle or Powerdirector then simply drag them to the timeline for editing. HELP.

I've tried contacting Hitachi but get referred to a Canadian Website which has never heard of the DZ-HV575e and because of this, won't allow a webmail query submission. Have also sent some clips to Sony but with no progress.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

I am not sure if I can help specifically but I came across this problem when I converted a MOV file to AVI, Pinnacle wouldnt recognise it so i went the long way round. If you have a TV card. I plug my video camera using the red/yellow/white connection to PC, play and record through the TV on to the hard drive then open into Pinnacle. It works for me. I have a SonyVaio desktop and the TV record goes to D: drive Vaio entertainment, check the file number, open Pinnacle open file and t loads to Pinnacle, my version is older than yours 9.4 but it works fine. Hope this is of some help, you may have a different system.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

I am not sure if I can help specifically but I came across this problem when I converted a MOV file to AVI, Pinnacle wouldnt recognise it so i went the long way round. If you have a TV card. I plug my video camera using the red/yellow/white connection to PC, play and record through the TV on to the hard drive then open into Pinnacle. It works for me. I have a SonyVaio desktop and the TV record goes to D: drive Vaio entertainment, check the file number, open Pinnacle open file and t loads to Pinnacle, my version is older than yours 9.4 but it works fine. Hope this is of some help, you may have a different system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...