We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a reliable free PDF converter available?

sheila.weston
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have only one or two files which I need to convert back to a RTF or Doc file for editing. Is there such a thing as a free pdf converter on the internet? I like the sound of the ABBYY PDF Transformer, as I have the free version of the OCR reader, but the trial download allows one to save only two converted pages at a time, which is no good.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

No need to convert back, here's a couple of FREE PDG Editors...CLICK HERE & HERE

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

pdzilla sounds good, but I don't seem to be able to open any of my pdf files. I get an error message saying thet 'an invaid character was found in text content. line2=%'.

My laptop runs Vista.

I'll try the PDFill on the cnet page now.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I downloaded it again and it has worked BUT only shows 50 pages out of the 200 in the document, as it is a trial version. It is half the price of Abbyy, though!

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Re the Free PDF Editor from CNET - there don't appear to be any directions and it seems to want to convert doc files to PDF, but not the other way around. How do I use it?

Thanks for any help.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

This appears to work. I used it to convert a 50 page document, although it depends on how much editing you need to do. It appears to convert on a line be line basis and this id reflected in the formatting of the Word document http://smartsoft-free-pdf-to-word-converter.en.softonic.com/

Like this post  
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The problem may be with the PDF pages. If they are created using a PDF editor they should be OK, however if they are created by scanning a document they may be in picture format (no seperate text) and cannot (as far as I know)be converted.

Terry

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks, all. I found that smart soft's product worked very well (http://smartsoft-free-pdf-to-word-converter.en.softonic.com/). It coverted all 200 pages to rtf, which I then was able to save as a *.doc file. Just what I want.

Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features