We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast Security and spam

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am trialling Avast Internet Security Suite and it seems very good indeed BUT I have done a test to check the anti-spam by sending myself an email containing XJSC4JDBQADN1.NSBN32IDNENGTUBE-STANDARD-ANTI-UBE-TEST-EMAILC.34X in accordance with this site http://dorianblog.info/technology/how-to-test-your-spam-filter/

The email never arrived! I have two email addresses and have sent emails to and from both but they never arrive!! Where have they gone?

I am a bit concerned because previous anti-spam programs I have used give you the option of dealing with spam when it has been identified.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have Avast installed as well and there anti spam leaves a lot to be desired.I believe they only check mail from one provider Outlook.

I also have Eset on another computer and it will check my E-mails from windows live mail.And as far as I know Avast doesn't.

Apart from that no complaints with Avast except a few false positives that it gives occasionally.So remember not to delete anything maybe just quarantine them instead.

Where have they gone.probably classed as spam and deleted.

I take it you use Microsoft Outlook as your default e-mail provider.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

WOT has no security ratings for the Site how to test your spam filter.

So maybe that is why you never recieved any mail.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for your very prompt response Buteman.

Yes I am using Outlook and nothing that I have sent to it containing spam has ever arrived. What really concerns me is that if an important email is treated as positive for spam I will never see it!

I still have McAfee (free) on my lap top and it quickly spotted the spam and put it in the spam folder. Maybe McAfee isn't that bad after all;-)

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Avast can't be trusted, IMHO, so I have reinstalled McAfee:-)

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Pine Man

With Eset it gives you the choice once e-mails have arrived whether you want to blacklist them or whitelist them.

Maybe you should have tried the trial version of that.I downloaded mine about 4 weeks ago with a 6 months trial.Posted the trial on here but no one was interested,

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well bless my cotton socks.Tried the Eset download again and it still works for 6 months.I now have another licence which I will put on my grandaughters computer.

http://www.eset.co.uk/Sales/ComputerShopper

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your infected e-mails (default settings) will have been placed in the virus chest where they can do no harm.

You need to check the settings in AVAST

Real Time Shields - Mail shields - Actions

there you can set what Avast will do with suspect email.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Thanks for the continuing responses guys.

The main problem I had with McAfee, which comes free with my ISP, is that a full scan used to take about 2 hours. After a recent McAfee software upgrade the scan then took about 4 hours!

I thought I would try some of the opposition and Avast only took 58 minutes to do a full scan but I wasn't happy with the way it dealt with spam in emails.

Having removed Avast, and then using the McAfee removal tool, I reinstalled McAfee and carried out a full scan. Result - 59 minutes - RESULT!

That'll do nicely for me:-)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone