We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adding people to Facebook

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - when I log into Facebook, all of a sudden there are hundreds of people in the 'Add people you know' section. I only have four family members as my contacts, but these others are their friends and possibly friends of a friend.

How do I get rid of this list? They aren't people who have sent me a request to be their friend, as I can 'confirm or not now' them. With all the others, there's only one option - add a friend. I don't really want my granddaughters' ramblings of 'gunna get ratted 2nite'.

Like this post
mobileman1953

Likes # 0

click on x on top right of picture

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

There isn't one. No. 1 is Accept your friend's request while No. 2 is Add people you know. Next to each of their pictures, it says +1 Add Friend.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's irritating. I had hundreds appear and still have loads under find friends. If I wanted them as friends they would already be friends! I haven't found a way to get rid of it and searches on Google haven't helped. One list seemed to vanish after a while. Best to try to ignore and recognise that some features of Facebook are bad. What worries me is whether the privacy settings work and whether people can see me listed on their page. I'm there because of family not out of choice.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Quite so, Woolwell. I'm only there so I can see pictures of my family, none of whom live in England. What seems odd is that the list only appeared yesterday - I don't think I did anything any different to what I've been doing over the past couple of years.

Yet another of life's little mysteries, I suppose.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The x will apear when you hover in the top right corner.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The top right corner of what? I don't get an x.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Are we looking at different things? My other half set up an account and I selected 'Find Friends' at the top right of my screen. He was having trouble finding me, so I wanted to try from my account. As Woolwell, the pictures don't have an x.

The heading is 'Add personal contacts as friends' and then there's a list of half a dozen mail clients (btinternet, o2, Skype etc) followed by the photos.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Reading various Facebook forums I think that the X has been removed. There are literally hundreds of gripes about it.

Like this post  
exdragon

Likes # 0

Huh - that's a nuisance. I must have done somthing wrong though, unless they changed it a couple of days ago! I'll leave this open just in case anyone has found a work round.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Well, I don't know if it will help and it's going to take time, but if you click on the Find Friends button and then open someone's picture, you can block them by clicking on the Settings button (next to Add Friend and Message).

If you then want to 'unblock' anyone, you can do so by editing the Blocked People and Apps list in Privacy settings.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'