We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer inflicted by virus preventing start-up

manrow

Likes # 0

What can I do?

Would it be enough to reformat the hard disc using the original XP installation disc?

Help please.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Depends what it is! Any clues? You could try starting in safe mode with networking ( tap F8 on boot) and download and run rkill and then malwarebytes.

If all else fails, a reformat will get rid of it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try Combofix before Reformat.

But there's other stuff to try before that maybe.

If you can find the name of the infection, a specific Removal Guide can usually be found.

All the AV vendors also have free downloads to burn boot/scan CD/DVDs. You need to burn on another computer of course.

In case of multiple infections, then it's easier to re-install or return to Factory Settings from a Recovery Partition (if available)

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

Thank you. Would that mean all the drivers would be saved if I do this?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can make a backup (and Restore later) of your current drivers using DriverMax free.

They may be on your OEM XP Install disc or in the Recovery Partition (at least the original driver versions), but it's no harm to have another copy. Burn to CD/DVD for safety.

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

I don't have a dedicated XP disc which would have installed Windows originally, can I use the cd that came with another Windows XP machine?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You will be able to, providing the CD is for the same version of Windows as that on the PC (ie, home, professional or whatever). You'll need to be able to read the COA on the PC to re-activate Windows.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

First of all what is the virus?

Like this post
manrow

Likes # 0

virus called cloud av 2012 that proports to solve virus issues but holds you to ransom by demanding money. I have not been able to use it as will not show safe start screen

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Keep Tapping F8 as the PC is first switched on this takes you to a menu system you need to select Safemode with netwrking from the menu.

Then follow the instructions form click here to remove Cloud AV 2012

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

On XP you could try pressing and holding down the left hand Shift key then power on your PC, keep holding down the key until it boots to the desktop this action will bypass anything that gets loaded in the startup group,this is very often where these parasitic malware infections are run from

If it works then perhaps you may be able to use the Windows system restore to revert to before you were infected

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...