We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Undetected HD 5450 graphics card

tim.h
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just installed a Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 graphics card along with a new 500w PSU to my Vista Home edition desktop. I have uninstalled the Intel onboard graphics from device manager but the system does not recognize the new card. I have one monitor connected to the new card and one to the old VGA output but only this second is working. I have downloaded drivers and attempted to install them but there is no sign on the system of these either. The GPU manual says some cards require supplementary power and there is a very small two pin socket on the card, but I don't know what sort of connector to use. Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If you are saying that the you have a monitor still connected to the old VGA out put (on board card graphics) and still get a picture are you sure you have disabled it in the Bios?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Usually BIOS detcts new card and auto disables onboard graphics.

I suggest you remove and refit the card making sure it is fully inserted in the slot.

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

I am still trying to access the BIOS, never having been there on this machine. So far I have only uninstalled the onboard graphics from device manager. I have found folders containing ATI and AMD files which presumably are the drivers but there is no catalyst software showing under START-ALL PROGRAMS.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You certainly did not need to uninstall the drivers for the onboard graphics. Most motherboards will automatically disable the onboard graphics when a graphics card is added.

You say that the monitor connected to the new card does not work. If you want to run two monitors they need to be connected to the new card. It sounds as though the onboard graphics is not disabled. You need to post make/model of motherboard.

As for the small 2 pin connection, that is for an aftermarket cooler which need not concern you.

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

Motherboard is MSI MS-7267 v4.0. The BIOS is American Megatrends v17.1 dated 7/11/2007 according to SIW which shows no sign of my new card.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

OK managed to find the user manual for your mobo,and if you have not got one get it here.Manual. As far as I can see you will need to alter the setting in the BIOS. Usually the key to be pressed is shown on one of the first screens after pushing the power button. Usually it will say press delete or whatever key to enter setup/BIOS. I am not absolutely sure that your motherboard supports your new graphics card but on the other hand it may. but you do need to alter setting in the BIOS before the card will work.

Like this post
tim.h

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus, especially for the manual link. The manual says press DEL for BIOS but this only gets me to Windows Boot Manager and even on advanced options I cannot find a way into the BIOS. The screen following start up goes so fast I had to video it to catch the message. DEL for Setup and F11 for Boot menu, it says but however and whenever I hold it down I can access nothing from F11. More importantly, the manual gives a list of supported VGA cards and the one I have is not on the list. Thanks to you I have managed to update the BIOS and I know a bit more about this technology but it seems the card will be of no use to me, despite my system manufacturer, Mesh, saying that it should work. Unfortunately I did not buy it from them. I also have a shiny new, well underpowered PSU. Thanks to all for help.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You do not hold it down just start tapping it after you pressed the power on button. Always best to check manuals particularly for older motherboards.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...