We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having a clean up

geoff47

Likes # 0

I occasionally have a clear out of the programs on my PC and want to know about some pretty hefty sized ones that show up. The one that appears several times down a list is Microsoft NET Framework in several incarnations, first one is 2.0 with service pack weighs in at 1475.94KB then there is 3.0 service pack 2.0 at 264.94KB then 4 Extended at 51.99 MB then Client profile at 38.80 MB followed yet again by 3.5 SP1 at 28.22MB

Can I afford to lose any of them to free up space ?

And what does Microsoft Visual C++ do ?

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

The .NET Framework installations are not essential but are required for certain third party programs to run. Obviously whether you need the .NET Framework depends on what you may have installed.

The versions of .NET Framework are cumulative and each one builds on,and does not replace, the previous ones.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Visual C++

Personally I'd leave well alone.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you need all the .NET framework

No you don't need MS Visual C++ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C%2B%2B

Use CCleaner to get rid of all temp and old files (very safe to run)

To save more space if your machine is running OK you can get rid of the MS update backup files that are liste in the windows folder in blue and start with $

Also reduce the amount of space that is available for windows restore http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-system-restore-in-windows-vistaxp/

Like this post
geoff47

Likes # 0

That will do for me, thanks.

I know I was prompted to get Net framework some time ago, but cannot remember why now, but I will leave it be. Think it might have been for a CD burner.

Thanks for putting me straight.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad