We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Share/bank accounts help, please

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping someone will be able to point me in a direction which I will give me some hope/satisfaction. But first I will, probably, bore most people. I should also mention that when I say ‘I’ or ‘we’ I am referring to the fact that between us my wife and I have split up our savings into different areas such as current and deposit accounts and normal accounts and ISAs at our broker.

I keep our bank accounts and share accounts in Quicken. Intuit – who still own and run Quicken in the US - gave up and left the UK in 2004, but share price updating kept going until December 2008. Lately I have been getting fed up with the continual manual updating of the shares – and in fact I haven’t updated every share every day! – but have decided that I would like to have them all updated every day. I have looked round the internet and – so far – I haven’t been able to find a programme that does everything that Quicken did. I know that MS Money is supposed to do this but I have tried this and the programme simply will not run on my computer.

I have found a few programmes that do some of what I want but not everything. A little while ago I realised that I would, in all likelihood, have to keep the bank accounts within Quicken and run the share accounts separately. I was not entirely happy with this but realised that it was a compromise I would, probably, have to make. So what I could do then would be to export the share accounts in Quicken, import the ‘.QIF’ file into the new programme and then get the new programme to download what they call ‘historic’ prices – whereas I think of them as the previous day’s prices – and then keep the share prices up to date. What I have found is that different programmes do some of what I would like done, but not all of what I would like!

So my plea is this: Does anyone know of a programme which will import a ‘QIF’ file of share accounts, sort these into the accounts we have and want to keep, be able to download ‘historic’ share prices and be able to keep all our share prices up to date. If it can also run bank accounts as well that would be a really magnificent bonus. Now whilst I would prefer a free programme I realise that this is most unlikely and that I will have to pay for it, but as long as it is not too expensive I am going to have to ‘bite the bullet’ and pay. So if anyone has ANY idea(s) about any programme I would really like to hear about it.

Many, many thanks in advance for any information/help/advice.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Housten

Have a look here, if you search through you may find a suitable programme to suit you. Freeware programmes I found a number of "Accounts" programmes but decided to stay with Quicken since I do not need the Share Update facility.

TonyV

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

TonyV

Hi, many thanks for your reply.

I have just spent some time going through the site. It may be me - very likely - but I could find nothing about share programmes. It really is amazing when you look on the web, you ask for share/portfolio managing software and all you seem to get is firms that want you to use their sites for share dealing or something similar. I must be using the wrong wording because I can only - and more by luck than by anything else!! - do I find a programme for home use! And almost all of these don't do what I want or charge an arm and a leg if you want to use, so they are meant for commercial firms or brokers, not brain dead pensioners like me!!

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Housten

Yes, you are right. It is difficult, but try Financial Software or Download Share price Software. I found this through that. Amateur Invest

Other wise, just keep trying!

TonyV

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Banktree Banktree seems to do it. Not tried it myself.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

TonyV

Many thanks, again! i will try your suggestion!

Woolwell,

Already tried banktree and they have told me what they provide does/will not do what I want!!

You would think there would be any number of programmea, bur there aren't, I just find it very baffling. I was writing my own bank and share programme - in PowerBasic - back in the 90's when I found Quicken, and so - stupidly - gave up. with Quicken gone you do begin to wonder what companies to trust these days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers