We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Master socket move.

Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

My BT master socket is in the downstairs toilet underneath the soil pipe. It was installed when the house was built 26 years ago. I am having it moved to a drier position and changed to a BT Master NTE5 and the BT ADSL bottom plate fitted. Basically this is because every month or so I have to open the master box and "dry" it out to stop crackling on the phone line.

However, I would be interested in any BB improvements such as line noise. I know I can access this by interrogating the modem but what figures should I be interested in? At the moment I am getting 4.8 download and 600 upload using a TalkTalk provided SmartAX MT882. Would it pay to upgrade the modem while I am having this work done?

BE

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Having a new box doesn't necessarily mean that you can guarantee better speeds, because it will all depend on what (in this case) Talk Talk and BT provides, and the profile that they had set for you.

Routers and modems can make a difference, and this would show perhaps in reliable reviews. One point perhaps worth mentioning, is that some router's prove better on LLU systems (Talk Talk use LLU), than other routers, even from the same manufacturer, usually via the 'better' chipset used in the device.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The Ringing Wire is not needed these days. (Pin 3 Orange/White).

Which leaves just two. Blue/White and White/Blue (2 and 5)

Disconnecting can reduce noise pickup or fit a BT iPlate.

An ADSL Faceplate is also a recent'ish improvement.

4.8Mbps sounds reasonable on an 8MBps service if you are a mile or two from the exchange.

See samknows for your exchange details

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...