We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook email duplication problems

rawprawn

Likes # 0

I am totally baffled, I have Outlook 2007 on my windows 7 computer and since I bought a Mac and also take email on that my Outlook downloads hundreds of emails over and over again. I have unpicked "Leave messages on the server" in Outlook accounts. I have uninstalled MS Office and re installed it. I have to leave messages on the server on my Mac or they all disappear from Mac Mail. Wits end any help please. Thanks RP

Like this post
Daveboy

Likes # 0

If either of your machines request messages to be left on server then they will be left. If these messages are all sitting in your inbox then you will d/load them every time. Create folders at server end and get them out of your inbox.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is a problem somewhere with e-mail settings not with Outlook itself so, I'm sorry, but the re-installation was almost certainly unnecessary. Outlook may be downloading them again as they appear to be unread. This may be a setting on the Mac but I don't use a Mac so cannot help there. It could also be a problem with your ISP. Is this Virgin by any chance? If it is open webmail and check the settings (this probably applies to other ISP's too).

Finally for what you are doing (wanting the same e-mails on your Windows7 computer and on the Mac) then you would be probably better off moving from pop to imap.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Daveboy, thanks for the reply. If I create new folders at the server and put all the current Inbox in ther won't it empty the inbox in the mac?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Wool well my ISP is BT recently become Yahoo, the reason I want the same emails on windows is because it is a laptop and I sometimes use it away from home. I will look and see if I can change it to IMAP

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

imap is the way to go. With imap you can set up folders on either the laptop or the mac and view the same e-mails and probably most importantly all the sent ones. I use imap for my main e-mail account and have it synced with desktop, laptop, ipad and smartphone.

Deleting is different with imap. You have to purge the e-mails from the server. All e-mails are kept on the server and once downloaded on your systems. But are only deleted when they are deleted from the server.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps I understand that it can be difficult to get yahoo's imap settings and it working. See this thread Yahoo imap snags. Although this is better Yahoo imap settings. I am not sure how you actually change from pop to imap with Yahoo.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Woolwell, I will see if I can set it up this weekend. Thanks RP

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED