We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building a new desktop tower

salamader

Likes # 0

Hi,

Im planning on building myself a new tower (as a sort of Christmas holiday project) to replace my somewhat dilapidated current one.

Ive picked out all the components I need, and made sure that they all should slot up together nicely, however I come a bit unstuck when it comes to choosing the tower casing itself.

There are so many sizes and shapes, im a bit confused as to what it is i exactly need! Can anyone out there give me some pointers or hints as to what I need to look for in trying to figure out whether all my components will fit?

Many Thanks!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Would be very helpful if you could list your components,particularly the motherboard, is it ATX or M -ATX etc. Is your graphics card one of the larger/longer ones. This will have a bearing on case size. Are you looking for silent or one with lots of places to put LED fans for a bit of bling? Do you want your case windowed? What is your budget.

I have just built a HTPC which required a small silent case, my last desktop is water cooled so needing a larger case.

Like this post
salamader

Likes # 0

Ah sorry, this is what ive preliminarly jotted down as components:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-PA65-UD3-B3 Motherboard Gigabyte GA-PA65-UD3-B3, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA, PCIe 2.0 (x16), ATX

Processor: still deciding between either: intel core i3 1155, or the i5 1155 (cash depending)

graphics card: MSI HD 6770 AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB R6770-MD1GD5 - 1GB MSI HD 6770, PCIe 2.1 (x16), 4400MHz GDDR5, GPU 800MHz, 800 Cores, HDMI/ D-Sub/ Dual Link DVI-I

I have 3 other questions: 1) how do I work out what power supply ill be needing? this pc is more for a mid-range-ish gaming pc which i can upgrade at a later date.

2)With fans, I am a little confused between case coolers and CPU coolers. would i need both?

3) my old tower that im planning on replacing has dimensions of 15 x 15 x 7 inches. would i be able to salvage that to use for my overhaul?

I really appreciate your help!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Just as an aside, do make sure that your boot HDD is running at 7,200rpm rather than the slower type at 5,400rpm.

I'm only saying that because for a couple of years I've been slightly concerned at a fairly slow boot up. Last week I found that I was using the slower type of disk while my second (backup) disk was the faster one. I imaged the disk, changed the boot order in BIOS, rebooted and knocked 2mins 10secs off the boot time!!

Of course, if you are using an SSD....!!!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Re yor PSU query, you might find this useful PSU Calculator

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

PSU: nothing less than 500W and get a decent one.

Cooler: The one that comes with your CPU will be more than enough for you. If you want to put a couple of extra fans in your case that's up to you. The case should have at least one fan at the front,to pull cool air in and one fan at the back to push hot air out. If your case comes with fans at the top,even better.

You can get pretty decent cases for £30- £40 the one you have given the dimensions for is rather tiny,with a big GPU pumping out heat plus the CPU airflow is important,small cases do not give you that unless you are building a media centre PC where not much heat is being produced so minimum cooling is needed.

I would,if you can ,try and get the i5 rather than the i3 far better gaming chip.

Like this post
salamader

Likes # 0

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

That will be fine, I must admit it would not be my choice but overall it will fit your needs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?