We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook 2000 and Windows 7

SURVEY
Resolved

Likes # 0

Migrating froma XP computer to a Windows 7 laptop. Saved my Outlook 2000 data's .pst file and copied it to the laptop. Loaded Outlook 2000 to the laptop. Outlook screen does load and tried to import the .pst file but however I do this I am told that the WAB.dll fle is missing. I only use Outlook for contacts and calendar and not as my email client. I appreciate that Outlook 2000 may not be compatible with Windows 7 but would copying over the WAB file to somewhere(?) on the laptop enable all to work? If necessary, I am quite happy to buy an up to date version of Outlook but do not want to do so until I know that it will successfully import my .pst file.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

I have Office2000 working except for Outlook.

I spent quite a while Googling the problems and gave up in the end.

Password problem as mentioned.

Only one IMAP account at a time would sort of work.

Two WAB .dlls were missing for the address book. (I did find downloads for them online somewhere and stuck them in system32 or wherever they were supposed to go)

In the end, Mozilla Thunderbird to the rescue and very happy I have been with it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Calendars in Thunderbird are Add-on/Extensions

I use Reminderfox in Firefox so can't advise further.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Export your contacts to a csv file which many programs will accept whereas they will not accept pst. Have a look at what you can export your calendar as, perhaps ical. pst only really works with Outlook.

I use Outlook on my desktop and Thunderbird with the calendar extension on my laptop. I sync the laptop, ipad and smartphone through Google.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Have now loaded Office 2000. Outlook has recognised my .pst file and easily imported the contacts. I have synchronised my google calendar with the Outlook Calendar and these sunc each way very successfully.

Now I have decided that to integrate all successfully I shall move from Windows Live Mail to Outlook as my email client. The internet seems to offer various thoughts on how to move from one to the other but I trust the good advice I get from this forum, so has anyone a preferred method of doing this move? I wish to move the address book, plus all 4 email accounts and their folders plus the storage folders of older emails that all currently reside on Windows Live Mail.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Do you mean Outlook 2010?

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Yup, I did mean 2010. Must be getting old!!

I am now finding it difficult to transfer my email addresses over. I haev exported from WLM as csv file but not sure where to import it to. At present Outlook mail has my contacts file but I now need to augmanet this with another email address folder from WLM. Any idea why it wont import?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find it easier to manually create the e-mail accounts. I'll have to look up how to transfer e-mails from WLM to Outlook. Sorry but I will not be able to get back about this until much later.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Thanks woolwell. I have managed to transfer my email addresses.

One item. If I start typing an email address in WLM the email address is picked up after a couple of letters have been typed. With Outlook this is not happening and I am forced to go into the address book to highlight an email address! Is ther something I am missing here??

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Just found out how to get the autocomplete to work in Outlook. Copy ALL address book into the 'TO' box and then discard the message. Now it works! Why??

Now when I have the time I have to copy over the email accounts and all the folders. So any thought on the best way to do these tasks?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide